Chapter 10: A Chance

(Raven's pov)

So... my best friend just practically threw me at a guy that I didn't know. Good friend right? Well at least he's hot.

Jared was rather hot. He has dirty brown colored hair, deep brown eyes with gold flecks in the center if you look close enough, and tan skin. He was in just a pair of black cargo shorts and brown sneakers. He was cute, but I didn't even know him.

I gave a sigh as I looked over at Jared. "How about we go ahead and hang out at the beach. It's nice day." He said shrugging. I cross my arms.

"Hmm sure. So you want to take me to the beach just so you can see me in a bikini?" I said crossly making everyone in the room snicker. Jared blushed slightly.

"I didn't mean it like that. We could walk on the beach and-

"Right walk on beach and get sand all in my shoes." I said looking at him annoyed.

"Well I... uh... we.... I... mean... um..." He said obviously feeling like an idiot. I heard Vic sigh.

"Raven stop being a smart ass." Vic said shaking her head. "Chill Jar she's just messing with you. It's what she does. She loves making people freak out and get uncomfortable." She said shaking her head. I gave a small smile.

"Well it is fun after all." I said giggling slightly. Jared looked at me a bit shock. "So beach you said?" I asked looking back at him with a smirk. "Lead the way blushy." I say before walking out leaving everyone laughing.

"Oh I think I'm going to like this chick." I heard one of them muttered before I went down the steps. I only had to wait a few minutes before Jared came outside. He had gotten on a grey zip up sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off. I rolled my eyes as I walked ahead.

"Wow your so cool." I said sarcastically. It was guys like this that I found ridiculous. Always trying to act and be cool. They were just complete fakes. Psh cool guys were just stupid insecure brats who thought they had to act all that just to get people to like them. Those were the ones who didn't know pain.

Sure I have both parents who love each other, but it's no happy family. My mother hates me because I got the 'gift' and she didn't. On my mom's side of the family every other generation is a witch and because I got it and my mother didn't she hated me, only girls can get the 'gift'. Then my father looks at me as a freak and hates me too.

I have parents who love each other, but hates me. The only ones who I have ever told this to was my friends. They were the only ones who knew. My parents acted as if they were the best parents in the world. There it is again. Acted. That word was one I heard and used many of times in my life.

So people like Jared who tried to be or act like something always irked me. I walked onto the beach without saying a word for the whole trip to the beach.

"What did I do to piss you off?" Jared asked me and at this point my temper was sky high. All my thoughts only made my temper rise.

"You wanna know why?" I snapped turning to face him. "It's because people like you are always trying to be what you aren't. You try acting all cool when really you're just an insecure pussy." I growled. I saw him look at me in shock before the shock turned to hurt.

"I...." He started before sighing. "I don't know what made you snap on me, but I'm sorry." He said softly. "I admit me trying to act cool is well... fake I guess, but I just.." He sighed once again. "I just wanted to impress you, but I guess I'm failing at it." He said softly as he looked down. "Look I'm sorry for pissing you off. If you want I'll just leave you alone." He whispered looking really upset before he walked away.

I sighed knowing my temper got the best of me again. "Look I'm sorry." I said making him stop and look at me. "Some times my temper can get the best of me and I'm not exactly having the best of days today so I'm sorry for being a bitch." I said and he looked over at me.

"You want to talk about it?" He asked and I felt a small smile on my lips.

"Sure." I say before sitting down. Jared sat down beside me. I gave a heavy sigh and started. "My parents kind of hate me." I mutter.

"I'm sure that's not-

"When I was 5 my mother said she sometimes wishes that she could just kill me, but it's against the law so that's the only reason she doesn't." I say looking out to the sea.

"Seriously?" Jared asked and I sighed.

"This morning my mom said she wished I could just die already and my father said I should be in a mental hospital by now." I said a tear falling from my face. We sat there in quiet Jared pulling me quietly into his arms.

"My father left when I was only 10." Jared said softly. "He used to beat me and so my mom finally got up the nerve to kick him out. Now all she does is drink." He said while holding me. "How about we head back." He said kissing my temple without thinking and getting up. I looked up at him shocked.

As if realizing what he did his eyes widen. "Uh... sorry I didn't mean to.. uh... it's getting late... we... uh... should um... be getting back now." He stuttered turning a bright cherry red color. A small smile came to my lips.

"Sure Jared." I say standing up. "Maybe if your a good boy I'll give you a kiss." I wink making him blush a deeper color. I giggled and walked off ahead. "You coming Blushy?"

"Urg you're never going to leave that alone." He groan as he followed behind me. I smiled and kept walking. Maybe today hasn't been the worst day.