Chapter 24: Future

~Lucy's POV~ 

I paced around the apartment clutching the necklace Natsu gave me. I had worn it almost every day since I received it. The metal was warm due to my sweaty palms. 

I don't know why I was so nervous, but I was. Natsu and I are going to keep growing up, making huge life decisions. Every choice that we make will ultimately effect our path. What if one of us changes? 

Right now, Natsu is basically my entire life. I couldn't imagine being without him, but time does change people. My breathing hitched. This usually happens when I get extremely stressed or nervous. 

I placed my hand on my chest, feeling the rise and fall. I closed my eyes, taking deep breaths. It was just a little bit of an anxiety attack.

My head began to hurt from the lack of oxygen and an access amount of thoughts. My head snapped towards the door as it opened. 

"Hey Luce!" Natsu said with a toothy grin. He was wearing a light jacket due to the change in the weather. March is finishing up, which means spring is upon us. He took off his jacket and hung it in the nearby mudroom. 

"Hey," I said timidly. I tried to show a smile even though I was nervous. 

"Are you okay? Your voice sounds hoarse." Natsu asked as he set his backpack down by the door. "You better not be getting sick, because that means I'll get sick too!" Natsu whined as he placed his hand on my forehead. 

"You are a little warm," he said with disappointment in his voice. I always break out in a fever when exposed to excessive stress. I grabbed my necklace again, playing with it to distract myself. 

"C-can I talk to you for a second?" I stuttered, looking at the floor. Natsu sent me a weird look, his posture stiffening. He had a solemn look in his eyes. He awkwardly sat two feet away from me. 

"Y-you're not breaking up with me are you?" My heart physically skipped a beat. I can't believe he would even think that!

"No!" I yelled louder than necessary. "That is not what I wanted to talk about." I said as I grabbed his hand. He blew out a sigh of relief, rolling his eyes. 

"Don't scare me like that Lucy." He grabbed my cheek and shook my head gently. I laughed, a minor substitution to my nerves. He had moved closer to me now, draping his arm around me. 

"Sorry," I said as I kissed his cheek. "Anyway, as you know, we are graduating next week." Natsu never broke eye contact when we were being serious. I slightly shifted in my seat, preparing myself to continue. "I was talking to Levy, Juvia, and Erza, and we were all saying what we planned to do after high school. I was shocked to find myself clueless at the thought. I just thought we should talk about it."

"You turned in your application to be an elementary teacher right?" He asked as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. 

"Yea, to The Fairy Tail University, but I haven't heard anything yet. I asked my dad to watch the mail." It was a dream of mine to teach little children. "I want to go to college, but what about you? I just want us to stay together." 

Natsu chuckled, pulling me into a hug. 

"Lucy, it doesn't matter where you or I go, you're always gonna be my number one. I'm not going to leave you behind." We disconnected from the hug, Natsu's smile radiant. "I was thinking about applying to The Fairy Tail University for engineering, maybe even mythology."

"Following in your parents footsteps I see?" 

"My mom might have talked me into it." Natsu rolled his eyes as a light shade of pink appeared on his cheek. He must have been embarrassed. 

"I knew you two were getting along!" I said as I poked his nose, he responded by tickling my side. After a minute of constant laughing, I became quite serious again. "You should definitely apply. Wouldn't it be awesome if we both got in? Would you live in a dorm, or would we live here?" I was getting quite ahead of myself. Natsu could sense the excitement in my eyes because he showed me a sentimental smile. 

"Lets see if I even get in first," Natsu said as he scratched the back of his head. "My grades are average." 

"Oh I'm sure you'll be fine!" I said as I playfully slapped his shoulder. "Well, we'll definitely pick up an application for you. How exciting!" 

"I'm glad you're excited, but that means more school." Natsu whined and slumped down into the couch. 

"I'm sure you'll make it. You've already gone through 13 or so years of schooling. You can make it four more." 

"But I don't wanna!" Natsu whined again as he crossed his arms. Natsu can switch between his serious side and his childish side at any given time. I rolled my eyes at his childish behavior. 

"It's your choice, but you might miss me if you don't. What about all the other guys at college? Someone's gotta protect me." I joked as I sent him a wink. 

He was already jealous, I could see it on his face. The corner of his lips are turned down, a look of protection in his eyes. 

"I'm going then," he said as he kissed my neck. "I'm excited to start this new chapter of my life with you." He caressed my cheek, cupping my face lightly. He quickly kissed my lips, short, but sweet. 

"I'm excited too."