Chapter 12: What's the Worst to Expect

Me and Becky got to Jamal's commercial presentation and many people came to see it. We seen him and Lucious talking to each other when they caught us. I gave a smile to the both of them and walked over with Becky. Lucious looked at us,

"I see you made it. We was just talking about you until you showed up." I quirked an eyebrow, curiously wondering what they was talking about us.

Becky bumped my shoulder,

"Sorry sir, I was trying to get Ne'veah out of her office. She wasn't feeling good for a moment and I persuaded her to still come." She concluded.

Out the corner of my eye, Jamal gave me a concerned look. I did my best not to look at him because I still felt nervous and unsure after what Lucious said to me backstage.

"I'm fine, I was feeling queasy all of a sudden after I got back here. Don't worry about me." I slightly lied.

Jamal had a face that I wasn't telling the truth, "You sure, V'eah? You don't have to be here, you know. I'll understand." He attempted.

I shook my head, "Naw, I'm good, Mal. Besides, I can't miss this for the world not to see my best friend's commercial." I teased lightly, trying to get him off of what I truly felt.

Jamal grinned at me and hugged me by the side, then he whispered, "Meet me after." I gave a confused look, not knowing what he wanted to talk about.

"Okay." I nodded.

Just then, everyone had quieted down and a man came up to speak,

"Empire welcomes Jamieson Hinthrop on ASA nomination day." Everyone gave a round of applause for him. I barely got to know the guy since my vacation and he was actually working with Jamal. He went to the get the microphone, "Minutes ago, Katy Perry announced the Best Male Pop Vocals. And we just happen to have one of those nominees here. Jamal Lyon. Come on up here." He gestured towards Jamal with a genuine smile and Jamal went up the stage while everyone once again was clapping.

I was really proud of him and telling by Lucious and Becky, I knew they were proud deep inside.

Jamieson turned to him, "So how many nominations have you racked out so far?" He questioned him. Before Jamal could answer, Becky and I shouted,

"FIVE!"

Jamal chuckled and went along of what we said,

"Uh, five."

"Five. That's amazing."

"Thank you so much." Jamal thanked. Jamieson continued on,

"Having lived through a time when a openly gay man could not have stood here so open, so out and so free, I take a very personal pride in your accomplishments."

Jamal nodded further more, "Thank you."

Jamieson glanced at the crowd and back at Jamal,

"But that's not all. I believe there's another milestone that you're gonna share with us now, right?" He questioned.

Jamal agreed, "Yes. I am sharing with all of you guys for the first time of my Pepsi commercial."

The crowd cheered over the announcement and Jamal went again,

"So, I have to take a second and say thank you so much to my--my mom and dad. Wasn't for y'all, I would not be here, in more ways than one. And also,"

Jamal surprisingly turned to look at me,

"I would like to thank the one person who been there for me thick and thin, which is my best friend, Ne'Veah. Even though we were at long distance for a long time apart, you came back and actually got me through hard times lately and is like the other half of me. So thank you so much." Jamal says confidently.