"Quit stalling. We'll be late," he says. He gives me an infuriatingly sweet smile and holds his arm out. Swallowing my pride, I give him a smile that I hope is just as sickening and hook my arm through his.

The party is held at the top of the enormous tree where the grand staircase begins its long journey to the ground. We arrive on time, but the room is already packed. I scan the crowd for Celeste and Syfi or even Peter, but the only familiar face is Queen Lili Mai. She glides toward us, her pale green dress sweeping over the wooden floor, and smiles at us, looking eerie in the moonlight that filters in through the branches. But I'm relieved to see someone I know who isn't Alec, even if it is her.

"Good evening," she greets us, bowing with the grace of a royal. Alec returns her bow and I curtsy awkwardly, still getting used to acting properly in the presence of royalty. "I absolutely love parties. Aren't you thrilled this is all for you?"

I fake a smile. "Extremely. Thank you very much."

Alec covers a chuckle with a light cough. My breath catches in my throat, but the Queen doesn't seem to notice. I elbow him in the ribs, not taking my eyes off the Queen. "Have you seen Peter tonight, Your Majesty?"

"I seem to recall that your friend turned down our invitation." She frowns. "He told Warren that he would rather sleep with a centaur than attend one of our parties."

"A centaur—?"

"That's too bad," Alec interrupts with a polite smile for the Queen. Her pleasant expression returns, if you can call her nerve-wracking half smile that. "He's certainly going to miss out on a lovely night." The Queen nods her agreement and turns her gaze to me. My stomach churns as she takes my hands in hers.

"My dear, I hope you forgive me for my actions the other day. I did not mean to frighten you. Although, you certainly handled yourself very well." She puts a hand on my shoulder. I know the gesture is meant to be reassuring, but her touch makes my skin crawl. "You're a very brave girl." To my relief, she drops her hand.

"Thank you, Your Majesty." My voice wavers. The queen doesn't seem to notice, but Alec does.

"Well," he says, clearing his throat. He sounds so steady, not intimidated in the presence of the woman who was ready to kill us both hardly a day ago. "If you'll excuse us, Your Majesty, I think it's time for Edlyn's first taste of fairy wine."

"Ah, yes, of course." The Queen nods and averts her attention to a pair of fairies that had been vying for her attention since she began speaking to us.

Alec guides me through the crowd by my arm to the other side of the room and releases me to pour a dark red liquid into a circular wooden cup. He hands it to me and turns to pour himself one. I sniff the wine cautiously. It smells just like wine from my village, but with something extra. Cinnamon?

Alec takes a big swig out of his cup, but I decide to only hold mine for now. "Thank you for that. After the other day—" I shake my head. "I'm very afraid of her."

He shrugs and sets a now empty cup down on the table. "Aren't you going to drink?"

"I'm not much of a drinker," I mumble, glancing down into my cup. I wrinkle my nose at Alec and he chuckles.

"It's good, I promise. Like human wine, but with a kick," he tells me. He waits for me to take a drink and I squirm under his gaze. I set the cup on the table next to his empty one.

"I think I'll pass." He picks my cup back up, holding it out to me. I meet his eyes. I immediately wish I hadn't, because his raised eyebrow convinces me to take the cup back. I sigh and stare into the cup. "Are you trying to get me drunk?" The only answer he gives me is a laugh. The first genuine, non-sarcastic laugh of his that I've heard.