15th Chapter ♣ First Day

Começar do início

"Oh," Valeriana gasped, feigning innocence. "I'm sorry. How stupid of me. I already tripped over it but I still didn't see. I suggest you keep your foot to yourself, so none of us would get hurt."

The laughter immediately died down and everyone fell quiet.

Valeriana then yawned and stretched out her hands. She swung them side to side until she 'accidentally' hit the boy who tripped her on the face . . . hard. It caused the poor, unfortunate guy to groan at the impact.

"Oh my god!" Valeriana breathed, pulling her hand back. "My hand slipped! I'm so sorry!"

Some of the students snickered.

She sighed. "It's better for me to get a seat. I'm really sorry." She then breezed through the room and settled in the seat the girl who was waving at her recommended. "Whew! That felt good." She whispered.

The girl had big, brown eyes with brown hair stylishly wound into French braid. She leaned on her table and stared at Valeriana's face. "That was so funny!" She giggled.

"Erm . . . yeah, I guess."

She pouted. "Julian had always been a jerk. That gave him a taste of his own medicine."

Valeriana laughed.

"It's my first time ever talking to one of the Celestial Twelve. Not even Brindon Jintaci, Zevlin Sabian or Genevieve Sabian would speak to the rest of the class in exception for themselves." She jerked her chin towards the girl sitting on the other side of the room, looking well-mannered and reserved, and a boy who was running his forefinger on his table while wearing a bored expression.

"Huh?" For a moment, their eyes connected. Valeriana hurriedly dragged her gaze away and turned her attention back to the girl. "I thought it was Celestial Circle." She was quick to try and not pay a thought to the awkwardness of the incident that just happened.

"Circle or Twelve, they're still referring to the same group." She said. "So . . . you're a human." The way she said it was teasing as though she was saying that Valeriana had a boyfriend and she saw the two of them in an 'awkward' situation.

"Y-yeah," Valeriana was scared of what she was going to do next. "My name's Valeriana."

"I know," Chavi laughed and held her hand out for her to shake. Valeriana reluctantly held out hers and shook it. "You were the talk of all the students in the academy." Both of them pulled their hands back. Chavi crossed her legs and leaned back on her chair, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I see."

"I saw you fight this morning." She started. "You were impressive with how you defeated Courtney." She whispered, looking sorrowful. "No one has been able to defeat her. Her record was smooth and she climbed her way up the chart faster than most of the other rankers-other than Lord Corvan, of course. But you managed to defeat her without even having to stay for a whole day. Are you really human?"

Valeriana laughed at her statement and scratched her head, feeling ridiculously flustered by her speech. "I think what happened was just pure luck. Courtney was a really good fighter. " She said, trying to be humble.

"Really?"

"I-" she was cut off when the door shot open with a loud bang.

Hollering voices just outside the door echoed, primarily including the voice of Lady Seraphina and the Headmaster. "Zip your mouth shut, Kylon! I won't tolerate you playing tricks on me like that!"

"Pardon me, Lady Seraphina." Headmaster Kylon laughed. "I really-"

"Don't talk to me! Fool! Idiot! Stupid!" Three loud booming noises came in a row and the tables shook with the tremor that vibrated throughout the building. Valeriana cringed, hearing sharp punches that cracked the wall.