[7]

While Colton had never been very skilled in the tedious affair of handling her own emotions, very much less other's feelings, being more apathetic and indifferent then empathetic on most days, she had always had a strange correlation with the weather. But while this might be helpful for the optimist who lives in sunny LA and go about their day with a smile as bright as the sun, it was more of a hindrance to an already, naturally irritable Colton Black who lived in a town that was almost perpetually shrouded in a smog of thick clouds and rain. This led to the days where the weather was particularly miserable, which was most days in both Forks and La Push, to be the days where Colton was in her least agreeable form and could mostly be spotted rampaging through the forests in a frustrated tizz.

Thankfully for Edward, today was more icy than miserable, the sky a soft, almost powdery grey as the sun touched the horizon and began to cast a faint glow over the once dimly lit sky.

Colton let out a groggy sigh as she continued to trudge through the thick encompass of forest that walled the road that kept La Push and Forks interlinked. She had been awoken rather unceremoniously by her own, far too active brain at least four hours ago. And after successfully pacing her bedroom enough times to possibly start wearing through the floor, she had given up on trying to head back to sleep and had set off. She wasn't exactly sure what her plan had been when she had started walking off in the direction of the neighbouring town, her feet moving on their own accord as she became fully lost in her own thoughts.

Insomnia had been in a constant in Colton's life since she was twelve, a trait she inherited from her workaholic father who never seemed to be able to sit still. It had gotten worse a little over two years back when her sleep began to always be plagued by vivid night terrors that she would wake up from not truly knowing what reality and fantasy were anymore. And even though she had grown eerily accustomed to surviving on an average of four hours of sleep, that didn't mean she enjoyed being awake when the rest of the student body slept blissfully away. What truly irritated her more than anything was when someone like Mike Newton complained about only getting 7, not 8 hours of sleep and thought that was a valid excuse for all the stupid shit that came o ut of his mouth in Colton's presence.

Fucking white boys.

If Colton was being perfectly honest, her insomnia had become increasingly intolerable over the past week or so, thanks to the arrogant, whitest boy of all, Edward Cullen. Not only was she unusually anxious over what the outcome would be if she would win today's coin toss and that her essay was the one would present and be graded on. Now that had she had made a point of flaunting her IQ and causing such a fuss, she was really hoping that the two sheets of paper that now felt like led in her backpack would actually live up to her boasting.

Another thing that was causing Colton to spend the better half of most nights staring up at the ceiling of her bedroom that she could now probably sketch in immaculate detail with her eyes closed, was a series of dreams that Colton had yet to decided were nightmares or not. Vivid scenarios played behind her eyelids whenever her mind decided to allow her to sleep off in unconsciousness, scenarios that primarily featured her and Edward. And they weren't even some ludicrous, blissful fantasy where she had tricked him into thinking she had put his arrogance behind them and then successfully stabbed his hand with a fork. They were eerily clear visions of what they would be like, as a couple. A thought that while Colton was conscious was enough to make her gag, but in her mind's eye was an ideal situation.

They were also particularly frightening because they weren't your standard, night fantasies about your Highschool crush. They were almost as if she was peering into the future, the future where Edward was beside her side as more than just a constant irritation, but as someone, she cared about, loved even. It was enough to cause her to wake up in a cold sweat and allow a rage to seep in at the mere thought that her subconscious could even possibly consider a relationship with Edward passed the combination of irritation and indifference she felt towards him now.