Pieces of a Puzzle

(time jump to 7:41)

Kai had been searching for at least half an hour. Cinder obviously didn't want to be found. He leaned against a nearby hall and let out a mighty sigh. The one time had worked up enough courage to talk to her after she fixed his stupid laptop. The one time he expressed his feelings to a girl. And Levana had to screw everything up for him.

He felt so defeated. His heart had cracked when her saw Cinder's arm. It was scarred and her skin was hardened around it. He saw her soul shrinking and the sadness she held behind those gorgeous eyes. He wanted to pull her into his arms to comfort her. To say she was beautiful and that he didn't care she had those marks. But she ran away before he could tell her any of those truths.

He continued to walk the corridors but found no trace of her. She couldn't have just vanished! He rounded a hundredth corner to meet a familiar face. "Jacin?"

"Kai?" his friend was confused and distressed. "What are you doing out here?"

"I should ask you the same thing."

"I asked you first, dude."

That was fair. "I'm looking for a girl in a bright red dress. Brunette, high ponytail, long white gloves. Seen one?"

"Nope," now it was his turn to spill it. "You see a chick with long, black, curly hair, and dark skin in gray dress?" Kai shook his head, chucking to himself. They were both looking for girls that had taken off on them.

"What's her name?"

Jacin's face smoothed out and he grinned. "Winter. Yours?"

"Cinder."

"The tech freak?"

"She's not a freak!" he yelled. He assumed Jacin would match his tone and march off, but the smile on his face only enlarged at Kai's argument. They walked around in the same direction for a while. Discussing the stories of their night so far. "She did WHAT?!"

"Threw a drink at Sybil when she was chasing you."

"No offense, dude. But I think she might really be insane."

"You should thank her, you know. She's the reason those two quit going after you." They shut up when they heard muttering from up ahead. Cautiously, they walked to what they thought was a mad man having an argument with himself.

Wolf was pacing back and forth and talking to a non existent personality. "Ugh. She probably hates you right now because your stupid brother had to go and sink his teeth into her. Great, even now, Ran can screw with you!" His face lost color when he saw he was being watched. "Oh. Hey guys."

"It's a little uncanny that we're all having girl troubles tonight," Jacin added.

"Speaking of girl troubles," Kai thoughts relaying to a similar subject. "Where's Thorne?"

"He's most likely giving a girl troubles," Wolf harshly remarked.

.....................

Thorne was sat down in a shadow beside a set of lockers. He had no idea how long he'd been there. Or if he would ever have the guts to get back up.

All he knew is that he was in the middle of being crushed to death by his smug personality. He'd seen the look on Cress's face as she yelled at him profusely. Her eyes where over whelmed by darkness. Her sweet smile had been discarded. She'd said he ruined her life.

He tried to tell her that he never actually laid a hand on her. Well, on her body. He was the person who cut off her incredibly long hair, but even that was on accident. A few years back, Sybil had asked him to help her have a bit of fun with someone in need of a lesson. The kind that involved actions, not text books. He agreed due to the fact he was a snarky, grade A jerk back then. He didn't know who they were "having fun with" until he saw her, unconscious, in a deserted classroom. Sybil used a pocket knife to make gashed in her flesh. The sights veered his mind and he sobered up after that.