Job

Chapter Sixteen

The doorbell rang,

"I'll get it, John," Mary got up and went to the door, "Is that you Cate?"

"Yes it's me," The door swung open and Cate was smiling, "Hi, you must be - " Cate froze mid-handshake and whispered, "A.G.R.A."

--

Mary dropped her hand back to her side and stared at Cate open-mouthed and stood there for a few moments. Suddenly, she made a grab for Cate's wrist and held onto it with an iron-like grip and began to slowly drag her into the kitchen. Cate followed her without any complaints. They arrived at the kitchen and shut the door as soon as they went in.

"Who are you?" Mary was still holding onto Cate's wrist. Cate began to slowly pluck Mary's fingers off her hand.

"Like you, I don't want my identity to be known, but to everyone, my name is Cate Thorne. Pleasure to meet you."

"But how did you know who I am?"

"I've seen your file, very interesting stuff in there. What would John do if he found out?" Cate looked at her nails. Mary grabbed Cate's upper arm and her knuckles began to become white.

"You won't tell him will you?"

"It's not my place to tell Mary, but I suggest you tell him who you really are before someone else does." Mary let go of Cate and put her hands on the rim of the sink and let out a deep sigh.

"So you won't tell him?"

"I've already said no Mary, and whenever or if you ever work out who I am, keep it to yourself. But the day he finds out, it won't be due to me."

"He won't find out. Ever." Mary walked out of the kitchen leaving Cate in the middle of the kitchen.

"That's what they all say. He will find out."

--

Cate said her final goodbyes to John and Mary but Mary stared coldly at the plate of food in front of her. John didn't notice. And she went out onto the street.

--

As soon as Cate walked into her apartment she began to start packing one of her rucksack and a small suitcase. When she was done she went up to Mrs Hudson's apartment, knocked on the door and Mrs Hudson opened it.

"Hi Mrs Hudson, I won't be here for maybe a few days and I just wanted you to know."

"Oh is it another one of your babysitting jobs again."

"Yes, they said that they don't know how long that they'll be gone for so I may be gone not just for the night, but for several days."

"That's okay Cate."

"Is there anything you want me to buy when I get back?"

"No, just get back safely Cate."

"Will do, I'll see you soon." Cate waved goodbye to Mrs Hudson and left the apartment quietly. As soon as she was outside she took her phone out her pocket and a sheet of paper. She began to type in the number and she put the phone to her ear.

"What's the nearest train station from where I'm meetings you?" There was a voice replying, but Cate cut her off immediately, "No need to come to wherever I live, just pick me up at the nearest train station to you. That's all. Goodbye." Cate hung up and began walking towards Baker Street station. Sherlock looked out of his window at that moment and watched as she turned the corner.

"Mrs Hudson, where's Cate going?"

"She's out on an errand."

"Why did she need her suitcase?"