Chemistry

Chapter Eleven

Sherlock stepped out onto the pavement and looked at the stream of policemen walking in and out of the crime scene. John was still in the cab paying the fare. Cate walked over to Sherlock with a smile on her face,

"You should have taken the train with me; I arrived here over 10 minutes ago. D.I. Lestrade wouldn't let me in because he said that I had no proof that John was going to let me onto the scene." She pouted, Sherlock walked past her and said,

"I agree with Lestrade, little kids like you shouldn't be allowed onto crime scenes."

"I am not a little kid!"

"Where's your proof? Do you have your ID on you?"

"Nice try. You won't find out who I am like that." With this, Cate flicked her hair and walked towards John. Sherlock didn't see her do this, instead he walked under the restriction tape towards Lestrade.

"How long?"

"Around three hours ago."

"Any witnesses?"

"Not really, but there's a bloke down at the Yard who claims to have seen the man burst into flames." Sherlock nodded and went to look at the pile of burnt remains. "We don't know who he is just yet. We hope to find out by the end of today."

"No one has touched him?"

"No, left it for you." Sherlock crouched down and bent down to get a closer look at the charred remains of the body. He sat back up, and looked around the body. He felt a presence over his shoulder. He turned around, already knowing who it was, what he didn't expect was how close her face was.

"Cate, what the hell are you doing?" He said through gritted teeth, her face was two inches away from his.

"I want to see what you see. I just wanted to see what your brain saw, so that I could finally understand how you work things out so quickly."

"You're annoying me. Leave me alone so I can examine the ash."

"Of course, because you're an expert on ash." Sarcasm laced Cate's every word.

"I am an expert on ash. I did a whole blog on it."

"Yes, but do you really know the human flesh kind of ash. If you do, then that is very disturbing."

"This isn't human flesh ash though. You see the whiteness of the ash. Now Cate, tell me what ash is white."

"A metal that has been burned." Realisation finally sunk in.

"Precisely."

"Now Lestrade, did the witness say anything about the speed in which this man was burned?"

"He did say that it happened quite quickly." Lestrade answered.

"Right, were there any bright sparks?"

"He said that it was a bit bright, but he didn't really see him burst into flames straight away."

"Magnesium." Cate whispered.

"A quick examination could easily confirm the metal. No doubt it is magnesium. I would need to see the witness to see if they had seen any white or blinding flashes. You, Lestrade, held an awful interview with him, you didn't get any core facts at all, such as if there were any bright lights or the speed of the burning. If the witness did see these, then it most probably is magnesium."

"Magnesium is lovely and all, but who would want to set this guy on fire?" Lestrade said, obviously getting annoyed.

"I would need a background check on all four victims before I can confirm my theory." Lestrade nodded in response and walked off. John walked over to the detective and the raven-haired girl standing beside him; and started clapping.

"How did you keep up with him so well?"

"Year 8 chemistry. Not that long ago."

"Sherlock, looks like you have competition." Cate smiled. Sherlock was collecting a small sample of the ash and putting it into a small plastic bag. Paying no heed to the two of them.

"What time is it John?" He took out phone from his pocket and switched it on.

"Just coming up to quarter-past-four. Why?" Cate pressed her lips together and furrowed her brows, then muttered something along the lines of: "I'll be able to make it to both sessions."

"Nothing. We're done here aren't we?"

"Yes." Said Sherlock, "Leaving so soon Cate?"

"Yeah, I'm meant to be somewhere else soon."

"Where?"

"Places..." She said with a wave of her hand,

"I don't actually think you should go to 'places', you've just been discharged. You shouldn't really be doing anything strenuous. I'll come with you just in case."

"No need, I'm not going anywhere too far."

"You sure?"

"Yup. See you later." Cate started walking towards Barbican station.

"Bye Cate." Sherlock stood next to John silently, watching her turn the corner to the station.

"Well I'm off too." Said Sherlock abruptly.

"Where?"

"I've got to go to the Yard, remember?" Sherlock started waving the bag of ash in John's face.

"Right. Shall I come?"

"No. It's not important. Goodbye. Tell Mary I said hello."

"I will." John watched, as he stood by himself, his friend headed towards the tube station just as Cate had done a few minutes before. He knew then, that Sherlock didn't plan on going to Scotland Yard, until he found out where she was going.