Chapter 15-The Dark Knight

Start from the beginning

Sydney leaving? It was for the best. I had enemies and if any of them tried to get rid of me, Sydney wouldn't be in any danger or be in harm. And if someone wanted me dead, Sydney would be fine. After all, she didn't say her vows for the Blood Exchange.

But I wondered why was she so cold and distant all of a sudden earlier. Had I done something wrong? Or had she seen me with wolves in the prison? No, I would have sensed her. Whatever it was, it didn't matter. Not anymore.

She was gone and I wasn't going to bring her back to her version of hell. Which was being with me here in the European pack.

I sat down on one of the chairs and stared deep into the roaring fire that was blazing away in the fireplace in my study. Rolling up the sleeves of my black henley, I looked at the deep scarring on my forearms.

My father's brother-my uncle-had caused that. He had tried to make me a handicapped wolf. That meant that I couldn't be Alpha, because who wanted an Alpha that wasn't in full form?

If I was handicapped for life, he could take over instead. I let out a roar full of rage, resentment and bitterness at the life I had. Anger consumed me and I flung the alcoholic drink I had in my hand into the flames.

The fire grew bigger and I turned my head away from it. That fire seemed brighter than my future. I scoffed at that thought and went to pour myself another drink.

I knew I was jealous. When I had seen her across the room looking beautiful as she talked and laughed, I wanted to make my way to her and wrap my arms around her and for her to lean back in my embrace. But her laughing with Rhett, it made the hideous bitter monster in me snarl hatefully.

It wasn't because I hated Rhett or disliked him. It was because that while I brought Sydney tears and sorrow, he brought her smiles and laughter.

It was at this moment that someone knocked on the door. "Brendon? There is something that requires your attention now-"

"Fuck off!" I shouted and Rhett knocked again, "It's really important!"

And before I could tell Rhett to fuck off again, the door burst open and a short woman with black hair entered the room, her green eyes were blazing and she glared at me. "Alpha Kingston, I would like to see my sister now."

I could only look at the woman stupidly. Who was she and how dare she demand something from me. "What?"

Just then, a taller male entered but I could tell he was a teenager due to the youthful face he had. "Sarah! I told you I wanted to make the entrance!"

"Sean! Not now!" The woman-Sarah-snapped as she turned back to me. "Our sister Sydney. You chose her and my brother and I would like to see her right now."

Now that the woman and the boy mentioned that they were related to Sydney, I could see the similarities. Sarah, although shorter, had the same determination and stubbornness Sydney had. Even though her hair and eye colour was different from my chosen, both had the same oval face shape.