Chapter One- My Victim

He screams. Like they all do.

Sharp, short, piercing and full of terror. Echoing and bouncing off each stone wall.

I strike again, putting all of my energy into the blow of the whip. He screams again.

The funny thing about a scream of pain, is that its an involuntary action. It gives the body a false sensation of relief. No actual relief is found though and all it achieves, is to tell me more than my victim was willing to share.

This guy for instance.

His scream reveals much about him. His body is reacting, but the shortness of his scream tells me that he's trying hard to control his outburst. Hes trying to control any sound that passes his mouth.

The piercing sound that echos, tells me of his pain. I am giving him more pain than he has ever been inflicted with.

The terror he is trying so hard to physically hide is apparent in his scream. Its laced into the atmosphere and around him also.

If i could see his eyes, i am certain they would be begging me to stop. Pleading with me to let him rest. He can feel his breaking point approaching, as can i.

That isn't to say he is weak. Quiet the opposite.

With everything i can feel about him, i can also tell that his suffering isn't the reason for his fear. It's how long this could last. He knows that sooner, rather than later, he is going to crumple and tell me anything i want to know.

If my torture were simply physical he would never break, his body is to strong for that.

His mind though, is mine to manipulate.

I lash him again, hearing the same short, fear laced scream, that I'm coming to enjoy.

He was initially standing. His arms bonded, with chains, to the metal frame and his legs chained to the floor. But come the 19th lash, his back torn and bloodied with strips of flesh missing, he succumb to the pain. Kneeling with his arms at full extension. His knuckles white as he desperately clings onto the chains he hangs from.

I whip again, for the 34th time.

"This is the last one." I soothingly state. But by now he knows I'm lying. He pants as he waits.

At the beginning i told him he would receive ten lashes. At ten, i continued onto eleven.  

I told him he would receive, only nine more. On the nineteenth, i assured him he had done well and only one more was coming.  

I continued on to 25, telling him then, he would only receive five more.  

At thirty i comforted him, telling him i didn't want to continue. I let those words linger, before soothingly stating, only five more.

Now were at 34.

Why do i continue to do this?

Because, when the body is in pain, time feels like it is going slower than it is. Like an eternity is passing with each surge of pain and the body tries to cling onto any feeling that isn't pain. And the mind clings onto what the person is fighting for. It holds tight onto the reason that their suffering. Whether its a person their protecting or information their holding or even a punishment their receiving. That's their strength, that's why they fight on.