Chapter 3

Aurora POV

"You're just going to walk away? You aren't even going to explain?" Thomas asked. Well that's what I think his name is.

"Nope." I replied. I kept walking, but I heard shuffling feet behind me.

Ever since the planes left, they've been asking nonstop questions and I just kept replying with the same answer. And personally, I was getting quite bored with it.

"Can you just stop for a second and At Least tell us why?"

I turned around sharply, making Thomas stop abruptly causing Newt to run into him.

"I owe you nothing."

"What?"

I sighed deeply. "I don't owe you an explanation, my time, or anything else. I saved your lives and that's it. Now go about your business, stop following me around like lost ducklings, and leave me be."

The guy with the accent, Newt, stepped up. "Can you At least provide us with some information? Like what were those creatures that were chasing us? And how to get to the mountains?"

"They are called Cranks. They were all normal people like us but have been infected with the Flare. The ones you've seen are the far gone ones. Meaning there's no turning back for them, if there was a cure. You get infected by getting a scratch or a bite mark from them...or you're manually infected. But there's only a few of us that are immune."

Winston, I remember, start coughing hysterically and spit out what appeared to be blood.

"Some cold you have... You alright there? You look a little...gray." I asked him.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine..."

"Great. Well I'm on my way then." I turned away from them but a guy who was really tan blocked my path.

"You're not going anywhere till we have the proper answers we need. You are the only surviving shank in this blazing place. So help us out a little and we will stay out of your way." Minho, I recall, said with frustration in his voice.
Not in the mood to argue, I turned back around facing the rest of the group. "Tell me what made you come out to here. Keep the story short."

Thomas spoke up. "Like I said before, we came from the Maze and just escaped. WCKD came and picked us up, then we were being questioned by the Rat Man an-"

"Ratman?" I asked blandly.

Minho huffed. "No questions till the end."

"You guys are the ones that need my help, so I'll ask all the questions I need to ask..." I said, nodding at Thomas to continue.

"Anyways, yes, we call him Ratman but I think is really name is Jansen. It was more so an interrogation because he practically treated us like objects. I had a suspicion about the place because they would call kids up during lunch, saying that they were being taken to a safe haven and never seen again." He said with fear in his eyes." Last night Aris took me thru the air vents and showed me where the bodies of the people were taken. Everyone that was called was being drained through tubes. Rat Man came in and was taking to a lady on a big screen about a cure and about there's little time. I remember her name being Ava Paige an-"

"D-did you just say Ava Paige?" I asked, trying to mask the fact my voice cracked.

"Wait do you know her?" Newt questioned, stepping forward.

Ignoring the question, I placed both hands on my temples and massaged them, all of a sudden feeling dizzy. "I didn't know it would turn out like this..." I muttered.