Soulmates

Have you ever heard about soulmates? It says that two souls will find each other in their new lives no matter what they look like. That's what happens for me every time I enter a new life. But for it's different. I don't find my one and truly love, I find my best friend, my lifeline to everything I care about. Our history changes every time. One life we would be sisters, the next one cousion, a third one strangers, so many other lives has past on between us. But we were  never lovers. I've always wondered what the purpose of our lives have been since I'm the only one who knows the truth.

"Kayla, snap out of your daydreams and get your butt in here! I need you to zip me up!" Melinda yelled at me. "Coming, you helpless zebra!" I yelled back at her and laughed. That was her. My best friend for the last 15 years. Her and I knew each other better than anyone else. I walked into Melinda's dressing room to help her. She was getting ready for the gala at the high school.

"Did you just call me a zebra?" she smiled to me.
"Yes, I did, Mel. Your hair reminds me of a zebra"
"Well, then I'm the most fancy zebra, you've have ever seen, because I don't recall zebras having pink and purple colours"
"Okay fashionista zebra. Do you need me to zip you up or not? I don't think your date it gonna wait forever"
"Peter isn't even here yet, so do you mind take a chill? It's not even you that are going on a date tonight" she said and turned her back to me, so I could zip her dress up. She had been looking for the perfect dress in months and had dragged med on every single shopping tour, even though that I hated it. But I gladly went through the torture for my best friend. The dress was purple, her favourite colour, so it was matching her hair. It was long and had lace patterns on the bottom and glimmer on the top.

"So how do I look?" Melinda asked and twirled around.
"Like a fashionista zebra" I laughed and earned a sweater thrown at me.
"Would you for once just tell me the truth and stop goofing around, Kayla?" she said and looked me dead serious in the eyes, and I instant knew she was insecure about the whole evening. I wasn't going to be there, since we didn't go on the same high schools. She was a private high school student and I was just a regular.

"Melinda, trust me, when I say this. You look absolutely stunning and Peter couldn't be a more luckier guy than going with you tonigh" I told her honestly. She smiled wide back to me.
"Thank you, Kayla. You always know what to say to me"
"That's because I'm your best friend" I said and hugged her.