Project Fat Suit (One-Shot Contest)

I stared back at Liam as he got in my car, his suitcase in the back. "Why am I driving you to the airport?"  

He smiled and replied, "I wanted to spend more time with you."  

I smiled, turning the key as the engine rumbled to life and we backed out of his driveway. My classical music was blaring away peacefully, and I smiled, hearing the sound of it. Liam reached to change the station on the radio, but I slapped his hand away. "How come no one appreciates classical music anymore?"  

He laughed and said, reaching for the radio again,  

"It's boring." I slapped his hand away again. As we drove on the freeway, he talked to me about the weirdest things.  

"So, Miami sounds fun. Lots of hot college girls, right?" I asked him in a teasing tone. 

He laughed, then his voice took on a more somber tone. "I'd rather be here with you. I'm gonna miss you." I glanced over at him, shaking my head and laughing,  

"Over your cousins, a beach, and missing some school? Yeah, right. It's only for four days anyways." He looked away, mumbling, "Yeah." 

I couldn't shake this feeling of dread hanging over me. Why would I feel this way? He's leaving for four days, not forever, and he's visiting people he knows.  

Right?  

I parked and we got out of the car, and he grabbed his suitcase. I looked at him and noticed his sad eyes. What were they sad about? We entered the airport and I stopped him for a second. "Liam, why did I drive you to the airport?"  

His smile fading, he replied quickly,  

"I'm scared of flying."  

I gave him a blank stare, showing his answer didn't please me. He sighed, staring back at me.  

"Do you really want to know?"  

I stared into his eyes, the feeling of dread and loss and sadness washing over me again. The same feeling I felt with my mother before she died. I thought about Liam, and his dizzy spells, never driving a car, and being at the hospital.  

"Liam, why were you at the hospital?"  

His eyes widened and then he cleared his throat, saying,  

"I need to go or I'll miss my flight."  

My throat swelled up and my eyes started to fill with tears. He looked back, shocked.  

"Why are you crying Rena?"  

I hugged him hard, and whispered,  

"If I just didn't let go, would you stay here?"  

He smiled bitterly and replied, "It's tempting, but everything's already paid for."  

I didn't loosen my hug. "I won't lose you like I lost my mother."  

He looked down at me, shocked. "Rena, why would you think that?"  

I didn't look up, just held on tighter, the tears streaming down my face. "Liam, you can't leave me. Not now. Not ever. I need your sweetness, your laughter, I need you." He hugged me closer, lifting my face up with his hand.  

"I can't wait for the rain, Rena."  

His lips smashed onto mine, tasting of my salty tears and his love. It was sweet and I realized that I wanted more. Uranus seemed mediocre compared to the waterfall of emotions blasting through me at this moment. Why did I always reject Liam? He was this sweet, perfect guy. He was always there for me, always helping me. Did I not realize it? I was an idiot for hanging on to Uranus. He was stuck on Holly, and Liam was a better fit for me. 

I pulled away after a while, breathless. "Don't you leave me now, Liam." He smiled, and laughed. "How could I?" I smiled up at him, but he frowned a little then said, "I'm not actually going to Miami. I'm going to the hospital. For treatment." 

My heart stopped at his words.  

"You'll be okay though, right?" He smiled, grabbing my hands and looking into my eyes. "With your cheesiness and jokes? I'll be fine as long as I'm with you, Rena."  

I smiled,  

"I guess you're stuck with me then." 

*** 

I sat on the couch in the waiting room, my mind and heart racing. I was sitting alone, because being around Liam's family made me even more nervous. How could I not be when there was not a big chance he'd make it? Uranus and Holly had stopped by, and they were playing with my day care kids, full of laughter. I grabbed a pad of paper and a pencil and started to write. If he could describe how he felt about me, then I could do it too.  

Liam- 

How do I tell you how I feel? There's so much to say, but I guess I'll start at the beginning. You were a friend of my brother's, but you were always so sweet. I never felt mediocre around you, you made me this great person. You always supported me and told me how great I was. Now it's time for you to hear it. 

You are a sweet guy with a giant heart who is kind, gentle, funny, and supportive. Without you? Well, I won't even think about that. 

You're right, about your survival percentage being small. Anyone could tell you that. But me? I say it's big, bigger than you think. You are a great person and a strong person, and my only way of coping through this is to believe that you can, and will survive this. 

I'll tell you the same way you told me- 

I love you. With all my heart. 

I'm sorry it took me until now to realize it. 

Serena 

As soon as I finished writing that I nodded off to sleep, and the next thing I knew, I was being shaken awake. 

"Rena? Rena!! RENA!!" Kurt yelled into my ear. I stood up, shocked and my vision cleared, to see the doctor that radiated arrogance.  

I ran towards him, hearing the words that made my heart soar. 

He made it.  

He made it. 

HE MADE IT! 

I rushed past the doctor and ran into Liam's room, seeing his family crowded around him. I quietly slipped the note next to him, sliding it under his cup and squeezed his hand, walking out of the room and back onto the couch. Liam's family needed their time. I smiled and closed my eyes, images and memories of Liam and I crowding my head. 

He made it.

***

Hope you liked the new update! Credits go to @not_present, Project Fat Suit is a great story and you should go check it out!

Thanks for reading!

~Sapphire(: