Chapter 29 - Jackson

Start from the beginning

"We're going to take this nice and slow," Charlie explained quietly, turning toward Jackson. "We don't want to scare him off. A boar that size means all three of us should walk away with some meat."

The men watched the animal closely and then a second one came into view, nearly twice the size of the first. They were several yards apart and not too far off from a clearing, so startling them now could mean a quick getaway for them both.

"Hot damn, there's another one!" Ryan nudged Charlie with his elbow. "And would ya look at that beauty! We'd be set all year."

Charlie nodded. "Our freezers would be full, no doubt about that. We'd have plenty to share with a couple other families, too." Charlie narrowed his eyes. "Let's try to herd them, so they'll be less likely to escape. Even if one gets away we should be able to get the other."

"You want to do it like we did last time?" Ryan whispered, adjusting the rifle in his arms.

Charlie nodded again. "Just like last time, only this time we'll get them." Charlie gave Ryan a half grin and turned to Jackson. "Maybe you should follow Ryan, he's quite a bit stealthier than I am. All that military training..."

Jackson gave a nod and stayed quiet, assessing this new turn of events. A move like this could work out in his favor.

Ryan jabbed his elbow into Jackson's forearm, getting his attention. "We're going to load up. Pay close attention so you can do it yourself."

Jackson watched as Charlie and Ryan removed the magazines from their rifles. Ryan glanced up to make sure he was paying attention. With a well-tuned grace, he loaded the cartridges into the magazine and slipped it back into place, then watched carefully as Jackson repeated the steps, packing his own weapon with ammunition.

"Do you feel comfortable holding it?"

Jackson nodded. "It feels natural, like I handled one only yesterday," he answered, trying to gain the man's trust.

"It's like riding a bike," Ryan reassured him with a sideways smirk. His tone was confident, his voice raspy and deep. He fixed his gaze on Jackson, his green eyes boring through him. "Just follow my lead and don't make any noise. When I tell you to position yourself, only then do you do it. Got it? Not a moment before. Charlie's going to come in at a different angle to try and keep them from running into the clearing over there." He nodded his head, showing the way. "You stay close behind me and do what I tell you to. Once we're in place, we'll decide who takes a shot. Then we need to make sure everyone's in the safest position."

"Got it," Jackson assured. He fought the urge to grit his teeth as Ryan spewed orders at him. Just who the hell did this punk think he was talking to anyway? Oh, what he would give to show him. Maybe in time, after the first order of business was taken care of... Wouldn't that just be the cherry on top?

The men went in separate directions, Charlie moving swiftly to one side while Jackson followed Ryan to the other. He walked quietly behind, his steps slow and deliberate, one booted foot in front of the other, his eyes never once leaving Ryan's agile form. All he had to do was wait for an opportunity to step back, to distance himself so he could take a shot at his mark. One bullet to the head was all it would take, and Jackson was an expert at hitting his target.

The air was getting thicker with each step they took and Jackson felt his lungs working hard against the increasing humidity. Ryan became hyper-focused as he studied their prey through narrowed eyes, allowing Jackson the opportunity to slide behind some bushes unnoticed.

Across the way, Charlie crept along the trees, his gun in position, making sure to arc around as to not startle the hogs. Slowly, the swine inched their way closer to one another, unaware they were being herded together.

He stood watching him for a moment before raising his rifle. With his feet spread shoulder-width apart, toes pointed at his target, Jackson positioned the weapon, stilling his body to look through the scope. Charlie was moving slowly through the thicket of trees, concentrating only on the task at hand. He kept his eye on him, his head up-right and still. Jackson aimed, his breath controlled, his finger on the trigger.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Ryan hissed. Startled, Jackson glanced toward his voice and saw the redhead swooping toward him, his lips peeled back revealing gritted teeth. Before he knew it, he was sailing through the air, crashing down hard on the soggy, leaf-covered ground. Reacting quickly, Jackson managed to squeeze the trigger before Charlie disappeared from his line of vision.

The bullet exploded from the rifle, the deafening blast ricocheting off the trees surrounding them. Flocks of birds flew from the treetops they were nestled in, sensing the danger that lingered below. Ryan laid on top of him, his weight making it more difficult to breath in the muggy, still air, and he glanced over to where his target once stood. Charlie was nowhere in sight.

And for one long moment, everything was silent.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hello and thank you for reading Secrets and Lies! If you enjoyed this chapter, please hit that star!

Poor Charlie, I don't even now what to say--other than I hope he's okay. But if Jackson never misses his target...

Today I would like to thank readers in Maldives, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Suriname and Serbia--thank you for reading! Any other countries I'm missing? If I've missed yours, please let me know!

The next update will be after Christmas, sometime next week. For those of you who celebrate--Happy Holidays to you and your family!