Chapter 2: Why?

Mulai dari awal

            Audrey shrugged. “Just started last year.”

            “And I’ve never met you before this?” I asked. I could see her cheeks go to slightly pink.

            “I suppose you haven’t,” she shrugged once more. “You’re the captain right?”

            I nodded once. “Yes, I am. I guess we don’t talk much do we?”

            “You’re pretty good. The team hasn’t been that great before you came along,” she commented.

            “Thank you,” I offered. “You’re pretty good yourself. A bit clumsy, but no one is perfect.” Except maybe myself, I thought in the back of my mind.

            Audrey laughed, and for some reason it made me smile. “Exactly why my nickname used to be Bella.”

            I understood that one. It was a reference to the Twilight series. “Are you really that clumsy?”

            “Well, I don’t think so. I’m too athletic to be.”

            At the front of the hall, Dumbledore tapped his spoon on a glass cup lightly. Throughout the many, many years he had never broken a single cup. Honestly I was waiting for the one time he would, but it was unlikely that it would happen.

            Audrey said good-bye to her friends, and I gave them a wave and threw in a “nice to meet you.” The two of us walked back to the Slytherin table, sitting down near the prefects and Quidditch team.

            “… we will begin tonight’s banquet with the sorting of the houses…”

            The hat was brought out and set on the stool. After shaking the dust from itself, it began to sing. Every year it had a new song. I honestly didn’t know how every year it managed to create a brand new one. It was kind of disturbing to me actually. Then again I zoned out every year around that time anyways.

            I leaned over to Audrey. “What do you play?” I asked her quietly. I was unsure if she had even heard me.

            She turned her head, but not her eyes. “Volleyball and soccer. Was a cheerleader before I got my letter in the mail.”

            That last remark surprised me a little bit. Audrey did not come across as the cheerleading type. “So you’re not as clumsy as everyone thinks you are,” I insisted.

            “Perhaps not.”

            It was silent for a moment as the Sorting Hat finished up his song. Then the sorting began. Suddenly, it sunk in that I would be leaving Hogwarts forever after that year. I wondered silently what the world had in store for me once I left as a trained wizard. I hoped it was something exciting, but then again, my life had never been boring.

            Once the sorting began, Audrey tapped me. I glanced at her. “Hmmm?” I asked.

            “What did you do before you got your letter?” she asked me.

            In the back of my mind, I could picture my best friend and one of my enemies, Holly Short. She was quite surprised when I had received my letter. She was an elf, and we had had some pretty intriguing adventures together before and after the fact. Before Hogwarts accepted me, however, it was all crime and doing no time. Maybe even helping some people. And some other things…