Chapter XIII - Labyrinth

Start from the beginning

"There are criminals...among other things," he murmured as he lifted his gaze to my lips, "that stalk the forests; even by day. It behooves you, therefore, to proceed with caution. Henceforth, you will be watched." Leaning in, he brought his lips right up against my ear and my breath hitched loudly as I made to pull away, nevertheless his grip was unyielding. "I protect what's mine, Ariana." He finally moved away and I expelled a painful breath, licking my parched lips as he watched.

And I was, effectively, as good as his. This was certainly a change, whether for the better or for the worse — to now be noticed by the man that I was most afeared of when, before, I had enjoyed the comfort of his disregard and neglect.

I had never craved his attentions, but he seemed determined that I should have them now. Even so, his demeanor bespoke of its being an enforced interest rather more expected of him than what he would elsewise have evinced were he free to choose for himself.

After a silence, under Lucian's watchful, citrine gaze, I said, "Aria." When he brows beetled, questionably, I swallowed and went on, "Only your father persists in calling me Ariana." And It vexed me because Edwyn had called me that too.

With a snort, one corner of his mouth lifted. "Come," he indicated that I should precede him to the keep. "My father requests an audience with us directly ... Aria."

He moved to place his heavy hand at the base of my spine. I longed to move it way for I could barely concentrate on where I was walking, but, to that end, he steered me where he wished me to go, despite my knowing the way.

"Will you tell him about-"

However, Lucian interrupted me afore I could complete the query. "I see no reason to. You are mine to discipline, though he would see it otherwise. But his argument will be rather moot...soon enough." 'When we marry,' was the implication. I worried at my lower lip so aggressively that I soon tasted blood.

"What does he wish to discuss?" I had not been summoned to Godwin's private quarters since the day I had first arrived.

"He did not say." Lucian kept his stride brisk and said no more. He knew what Godwin meant to say. I too could guess.

When we arrived at the solar, Lucian pushed the heavy door open without word or warning to its inhabitant. I was beset suddenly with a keen sense of déja vu as I approached the lord of the manor, only this time his solemn-looking falcon sat hooded on her perch; she cocked her head as she heard my slippers padding quietly along the floor and I was most relieved that I would not be subjected to her discerning, ocheroid scrutiny. 

Godwin had two falcons, a peregrine and this gyrfalcon: his favorite. It struck me suddenly that Lucian's eyes were almost identical in hue to that of Godwin's gyrfalcon; Nott, I believe she was called.

"Sit."

I did as Godwin commanded, but Lucian remained as he was, standing alertly beside me. Godwin, brusque as ever, proceeded directly to the point.

"I think we have all waited long enough..." He impaled Lucian with a long-suffering, meaningful glare, and yet his son maintained his dispassionate manner. "You in particular," Godwin resumed his gelid perusal of me, those eyes an almost spectral blue, "have waited long enough. I should have seen you married already...were it not for Lucian's vexing delay!"

I had expected this conversation, however I was no less overwhelmed by the reality of these words being now forced on me, despite their insidious presence in the back of my mind for the last six years at least, which I had largely ignored — in sooth, had left them undigested.

When Lucian had stayed away each year, I had begun to feel pacified and had eventually become reconciled to his never coming back, truth be known.