Twenty Seven: In Which She Discovers His Demons

Start from the beginning

    I wrap my legs around the man who is holding me captive, and for a split second, his eyes widen in confusion. I claw at the dress, and finally my hand wraps around the gun. The man's reaction to the weapon is too slow. I aim the gun at his leg and pull the trigger. The man immediately goes down, his hands released from my neck. I feel all the air rush back in my lungs and I've never felt more happy to be alive and breathing.

    The guy who I've shot in the leg isn't done yet though. He makes an attempt for my waist and tackles me down with him, the gun skidding against the pavement, far beyond my reach. I struggle beneath him, trying to get him off of me. The next few minutes are spent trying to get the upper hand in our little brawl. He weighs a ton so naturally he has me pinned against the ground. The sneer on his face as he looks down on me is a sign of victory. But I wasn't going to let him win just yet.

    I grab his leg and squeeze, pressing my thumb deep into the gunshot wound I had inflicted on him. He immediately doubles over and I take that opportunity to land a solid punch on his face and another one after that, even harder than the first. His head falls to the ground and his body slackens.

    "Hah," I say, breathing hard. "That's what you get for messing with me, asshole."

    I quickly grab my gun and point to the other two guys whom I've handled just now. They seem to be stirring again and I'm not going to take any chances.

    "Try to come at me again and I'll blow your fucking brains out with this," I growl, pointing to one of their heads. "You don't think I'm serious? Look at your comrade over there-" I gesture to the unconscious guy whom I've just put down. "I don't think you want to take any chances."

    The both of them gulp. They look at each other and nod.

    "Good," I say, walking over to them. "Then you don't mind if I do this."

    And with the hilt of my gun, I slam it against one of the guy's heads and sucker punch the other. Both of them hit the ground without any struggle.

    Damn. I'm a fucking badass.

    The night isn't over yet. Jax and the ringleader are still at it and by the looks of it, Jax is definitely winning. Of course. The ringleader tries to seize him but Jax grabs a hold of him, swings him and slams him unto the ground. The ringleader groans, knowing that his defeat his looming. Jax doesn't stop there though. He cages him and lands punch after punch after punch. The look on his face is almost terrifying. He looks vicious, like a lion that's about to feed on his prey.

    I run towards him but I skid into a halt. I'm frozen in place, unsure of what to do. Jax just keeps hitting him—in the chest, his jaw, his face, everywhere. God, it's fucking scary. Blood sprays everywhere, straining Jax's suit. His knuckles are bruised, but he doesn't stop hitting. He doesn't stop fighting. I've never seen him fight before but this... god, this... it's like seeing him in his true nature.

    He is a monster.

    An abomination.

    I place a trembling hand on his shoulder but I don't think he feels my touch. "Jackson..." I squeak out. "Jackson, stop."

    He shrugs me off and his lips move slightly. At first, I think that he's trying to tell me something, but when I hear it again, it's not that at all. He's chanting something. A motto.

    "No mercy," he rasps, landing blow after blow after blow on this man's face. "No second chances. Take everything. Give nothing. No mercy..."

    "Jackson," I say, trying to pry him off of the already unconscious body. "Jackson, stop. Please." I plead but it's like he can't hear me at all. He's in a trance and there is nothing I can do to pull him out of it.