Chapter 22

I walked next to Rodney as he took me around the school. "I know what you are and what you can do Phoenix." I stopped and looked at Rodney knowing that he was talking about my speed. "H-h-how do you know?" I stammered, Rodney smiled as he said, "I feel it. I feel the speed every time you move. It crackles like a little thunderstorm." I looked at him in confusion. Rodney sighed as he grabbed my hands, "All of us with the super speed are connected through a force. It's a specific gene that allows all of us with powers to use those powers. Here close your eyes and focus on my hand.". I looked at him and then at his hand. I closed my eyes and felt his hand, that was all I felt but I knew Rodney wanted me to try and feel his speed. I took a deep breath and cleared my mind of every thought surrounding James and Katie. That's when I felt it. It was pulsing, always moving, and never stopping. I opened my eyes and looked at Rodney as he said, "Now my guess is that you have only scratched the surface as to what you can do. I would like to become your mentor and teach what you can do with your speed." I started at him in shock and excitement because of Rodney's proposal. "If I was to except.... would I have to give up my title of being 'norm'?" I asked Rodney, "No." was all that Rodney said. I sighed looking down at my black worn out combat boots. Rodney coughed and I looked back up at him, I looked it his chocolate brown eyes and said, "I accept your offer.". Rodney smiled and nodded his head, he turned around and ran of to who knows where while I walked off to my next class.

The next two passing periods I was able to evade contact from any of my friends. My last period, French, is extremely boring most of the time cause all we do is listen to our teacher talk and talk, but today we had a free period. I spent the entire period dreading seeing my friends. I knew that if I talked to Piper I would break down crying, if I talked to Dakota I might also break down, and I did NOT want to see James. And crying at school is not fun trust me. I was pulled back to reality when the bell rang, signaling that we could finally go home. I pulled my phone out to read a text from my mom saying that she was waiting out front for me. I sighed in relief as I speed walked out of the school. I opened the front door next to my mom, only to see Caleb sitting in it. I groaned shut the door and started to open the passenger door when I heard someone yell my name. I turned around to see lightning moving in slow motion towards me, but when everything returned to normal speed I had only moved an inch, but it seemed to have fallen a little short and it hit the sidewalk an inch from where I was just standing.

I heard laughter and looked up to see Trevor lying on the ground and an extremely pissed off Piper standing over him with Dakota standing behind Piper smirking. "DAMN!" Caleb said I turned around in time to see my mom hitting him and I started to laugh. "Why don't you see if your friends want to come with us?" my mom asked me I nodded my head and turned back around to see that Piper had finally stopped yelling at Trevor. "PIPER! DAKOTA!" I yelled at them. They both looked over, smiled, and started to walk over. Once they were next to me I smiled and asked if they wanted to join me to wherever my mom was taking me. They both nodded their heads. I turned around and opened the passenger door, first the tall Piper climbed in, then the small Phoenix, and then the tall Dakota. In other words I was stuck in the middle of everyone, because I'm the smallest out of the three of us. Caleb turned around and looked at all of us in the back, smirked, and turned back around. "Phoenix why don't you introduce your friends to Caleb." my mom told us. " Um. Okay guys this is Caleb. Caleb this is Piper" I said pointing to Piper, "and this is Dakota." I said pointing to Dakota. "Nice to meet you lady's." Caleb said giving us a cocky grin. I scoffed and looked out of Pipers window when I noticed that she had started to blush. That brought a genuine smile to my face, I could tell that Caleb was already going to be better for her then Trevor every was. "We're here." mother said turning of the engine and getting out of the car. We all followed her lead and piled out of the car to see where we are. I looked up to see the sign to see that we were at the pound?!