Chapter 32: To Dye For

Start from the beginning

Tim left me as soon as we got to the festival. Jerk. I stuck to the edges of the crowd and only sneaked into the elephant ear line once everyone else started heading off to the gazebo. So far, no one had noticed me. Like my dad always says, I should have known it was too good to last.

I was looking for my parents when I spotted Lily directly ahead. There she was, leading a group of gossip geese through the maze of lawn chairs and blankets that littered the big lawn. It was the way she held her shoulders that made me notice her, and the easy way she moved. She paused for a moment and all her stupid followers bobbled to a stop behind her. It made me want to puke. It also made me want to avoid her. If what I'd done was really all over the internet, then you can bet Lily was the one to start the conversation.

At least I had a couple of things going for me. For one, night was coming fast. I knew if I looked up, the stars would be doing their dazzling routine. The other thing I had in my favor was good old Mr. Pomeroy. There he was, in his orange socks, explaining some thing about garlic and roses to a lady with the biggest hair I had ever seen. I slipped behind them and waited for my chance to escape.

I was still waiting when the roots of my own hair started to prickle. You can say what you want about the rest of my whacked out body systems – at least my warning devices still pwn. I'd raised up on my tiptoes to see over the mass of spray/gel/mousse in front of me when I felt someone bump to my side, then nuzzle against my ear.

Brady? I'd thought Madison said that he and Jacob had some kind of race car emergency. But no. The voice whispering in my ear wasn't Brady's. It was the same one I'd heard at the golf course. Was it just a few days ago? 'Head down,' he'd said then. 'Kiss me.'

I fought to keep from turning to him. All Lily needed now was one piece of real evidence and it would all be over. I'd lose Brady for sure, but I was already prepared for that. Madison though – she'd never forgive me. And about what Jacob said: Who else would never speak to either me or Dave again?

"Sssss," I hissed and pointed around Mrs. Hair-do. "Lily."

"So what?" Dave said.

"So what? So what if she tells the entire world and all your friends desert you?" I said.

"I do not care about the entire world."

I shot a look at him, intent on shooing him away. But then he took off his hat.

His.

Hair.

Was.

Blue.

If you will recall: Once upon a time, I said my perfect date included (if I was dreaming) a blue haired boy. How are you going to resist a kid like that?

We found a spot under a windmill and sat close while the Municipal Band mangled three Beatles, two U2 and one PaperKut song. Despite the sacrilege of the music situation, I could not have been happier, not even if the scrumdillyishus Gordon Toledo had wandered up to sit beside me. And when the concert ended and Dave reached for my hand, I was sure I had just strolled right through heaven's gate. But there's something else my dad always says: All good things must end.

We walked to the spot where everyone who doesn't drive hangs out to wait for their rides. It was pretty crowded but we nudged aside some younger kids and claimed a space in the shadows. I checked to make sure no one was watching then reached up to ruffle my boy's blue as crayon hair.

I'm not sure why I stopped. I guess because things seemed weird all of a sudden. Or, wired maybe. Like a first date. When I drew my hand away, Dave captured it between his and held it to his chest. I could feel his heart thump thumping. I nodded up at him, acknowledging that ... yeah, me too. His lips slipped over his teeth then and his eyes went on x-ray overload.

I remember thinking: If this was a real first date, then we had arrived at that awkward part – the one where the boy kisses the girl for the first time – and the girl has to act like she doesn't expect it. It wasn't our first kiss. It shouldn't have felt like that.

But it did.

"Summer," Dave more breathed it than said it.

I started to shush him and tell him it was okay, that I kind of liked the slow, shy parts at the beginning of a relationship. That we could take forever, for all I cared. Except he blinked and gave my hand a squeeze. Then he laughed and said, "Your ride's here."

Oh.

Momentary embarrassment aside, it was the BEST of times.

Here's the WORST:

When my dad edged the van out of the parking lot, there, crumpled on the curb, looking all lonesome and sad-like and lost, sat Brady.

11:34 PM

Things I Love:

First dates

BLUE HAIRED BOYS

Things I Hate:

Being the girl who is about to dump an almost perfect boyfriend.

But first, I had to tell Madison.

<3