Warmth is Unusual

"Hey, thanks for coming over. I have someone for you to meet. Here, follow me." He said, leading me back down the hall to his room. I noticed he was covered in grease and oil stains, and even had some black gunk smeared in his hair. It was painfully obvious he had been working his behind off, but what for?

Dirk opened the door, and standing at the window was a tall, well-built male. He had his back turned to me, but he turned when he heard us entered. I stopped dead in my tracks, and my eyes felt like dinner saucers. Standing before me was Dirk, but not Dirk. His hair was snow-white, his skin a faint milky hue, and circuitry adorned his facial features, red standing out against white like blood-stained snow.

"W-who are you?" I asked, my voice seemed to shake, and the white Dirk smirked, the telltale Strider smirk not lost on his pale features. His appearance was... Ghostly, and it frightened me, just a little. He walked over slowly, and if I weren't frozen in place, I would have taken a step or two back.

"You haven't told her?" He asked, stopping right in front of me. I finally snapped out of my daze at his voice. It was Dirks, but there was a slightly different tone to it. It sounded... Mechanic? No... Robotic was more like it. Dirk let out a chuckle.

"It was supposed to be a surprise. I wanted to see how she would feel being in the same room with two of me." Dirk said, but I spoke without thinking.

"He isn't you." The words came tumbling out my mouth, and Dirk looked down at me, surprise crossing his features. The white Dirk locked eyes with his creator, and they smiled.

"She catches on fast, but according to all my programmed memory of her, this has been one of her significant traits." The white Dirk said, and I stood confused.

"Programmed memory?" I asked, quietly, and Dirk smiled down at me, and the white Dirk extended his hand to me.

"My name is Lil Hal, or Hal for short. I was created by Dirk as his auto responder, and we've actually spoken on a number of occasions. 413 to be exact out of you and Dirks regular 1325 in a 6-month period. I'm sure you've been unaware of these solicitations. Dirk has decided to finally give me a body, due to my recent actions becoming more independent from him. I'm becoming my own person, and it's nice to be able to see you in the flesh." He said, grasping my hand softly and giving it a small shake.

"This all seems familiar...like deja vu..." I mumbled, shaking his hand softly, and he smirks again.

"You always do catch on fast, don't you?" He asked, and I looked at him confused.

"What do you mean? Why doesn't this feel real?" I asked, and everything suddenly began to crack, and it all shattered away, leaving only me and Hal in a room of white, and red circuitry began to line it's way across the walls.

"Very good, ________. I knew you would catch on." Hal said, releasing my hand finally.

"Hal, where are we?" I asked sofltly, and he smiled.

"Don't worry, we're in a dream bubble. YOUR dream bubble to be more precise."

"What does that mean?" I asked softly.

"It means that you're dreaming. Everything that you see is being dreamt up by you, including me." He said softly, walking around a little.

"But I'm aware that this is a dream...so am I lucid dreaming?"

"No, dream bubbles work differently. I suppose you should be thankful that you're here though. You could have been having a nightmare." He said softly, and I blinked a few times.

"A nightmare?"

"Yes, this one, to be exact."

Suddenly, I was in a crowd of people. Hal was gone, and I had no idea where he went. The crowd seemed to all be going in one direction, and I fought against them, trying not to let them take me with them.