"He has a funny way of showing it."

"He's never been in love before."

"So? Neither have I. But I was able to recognize the feeling and tell him. Don't bother trying to go to bat for him, Orrin. He's a grown man who knows what he wants, and I wasn't it. End of story."

He sighed and rolled his eyes.

"God, both of you are stubborn asses! You deserve each other. Lex hasn't ever had to face his feelings before, Syd. Can't you see that? He's always played the field and left when he got bored. But this time you left him, and he doesn't know what the hell to do or say to get you back. Defining our emotions is not a Verga strong suit. Your leaving has got him scared. His coming here is him telling you he loves you, don't you realize that?"

"I assume he's told you all this?" She crossed her arms over her stomach, holding in the ache that Orrin's explanation brought forth. Oh, how she wished what he said was true. She wanted to be with Alexios so much that it was a physical pain, but her pride kept her from running back to him. It was up to him to make the grand gesture. She'd already put words to her feelings, and had them trampled.

"He hasn't told me jack-shit. I just know my brother. He's never gotten upset over a breakup with a woman. He's just moved on to the next willing pair of legs.

"But with you it's different. He's been a right bastard around everyone, begging your pardon. He'd just as soon punch me as talk to me, and all his employees are running to me for directions instead of attempting to talk to him. He's up at all hours of the night. I know, because I can hear him slamming around his room."

"All that means is he's mad he didn't get his way."

"Oh, jeez, you two really are a pair." Orrin pinched the bridge of his nose before releasing it and stepping forward till their chests almost touched. She raised her chin in defiance to look into his stormy eyes so like his brother's. But his didn't bring her that electrifying zing of awareness that just looking at Alexios did.

"Listen, Syd. I'll be the first to admit that my brother can be a real jerk. He's uptight, snobbish, OCD, and arrogant as hell. But he's also loyal, caring, steadfast and true-blue. He loves unconditionally. When we were at university together, he was there for me more times than I can count, and believe me, I got into a lot of trouble.

"What I'm trying to say is this: Lex (and all of us Verga men, really) have trouble voicing our emotions. We're much better at showing it, if you catch my drift." His lascivious grin left Sydney in no doubt of what he meant, and her body went hot, then cold from remembering being with Alexios in the way his brother intimated. She ground her teeth against the memories.

"I don't know what happened between the two of you. We also aren't big on sharing our problems. But I damn well know that my brother needs you in his life. You're like the other half of him. He's a pompous ass, but when he's with you he's almost bearable. You have a steadying effect on him. And since you already seem to love him, you must know he's the right one for you. So where's the problem?"

Sydney felt her face flush. Orrin was nothing if not direct. Spoken like that, it did seem odd that she and Alexios were still apart. If they were two halves of a whole, like Orrin suggested, Alexios should be feeling the same way as she. Miserable. And his sibling implied that.

She began to feel warm all the way through from Orrin's description of how Alexios needed her. But then she reminded herself that it was the brother telling her these things; not the man directly involved. She was nowhere closer to hearing from Alexios how he felt. The warmth washed away like the outgoing tide, leaving her cold and empty inside.