Chapter 4

Well, there was the answer to her question, Sydney thought as she took in the new arrival's appearance. The woman screamed high maintenance, from those red-painted lips, to that perfectly crimped blonde hair, all the way down to her Christian Louboutin pointed pumps. Looking like she'd been poured into the white crepe jumpsuit she wore, Alexios's companion was the type of woman who demanded a man's attention. And it was obvious that she was where he chose to spend his time, not at The Midas Touch lounge.

            Right now she took hold of Alexios's arm possessively, pulling him in so close that his elbow nestled between breasts that were well displayed in her outfit's plunging neckline. And still she stared at Sydney inquiringly.

            "Felicity, this is our new bartender, Ms. Sydney Hughes. Sydney, Felicity Carruthers." Alexios made the introductions.

            Sydney nodded by way of greeting, but Ms. Carruthers simply sniffed, then turned Alexios toward her. She reached up and straightened his already straight tie knot. Poking her bottom lip out in a little-girl pout that made Sydney want to hurl, she said in a sex-kitten voice that she didn't bother to lower, "I thought we were going to spend some time together before Daddy's boring old party, Lexie. Can't you get rid of her and take me upstairs? This material is just so itchy."

            Sydney watched in fascination as Felicity pulled on the neckline of her jumpsuit, managing to expose even more of her tanned skin than she already had on display. Alexios's gaze dropped to all that cleavage, and Sydney fought the urge to exclaim, "Seriously?" Instead she said drily, "Perhaps I should come back later, when your attention isn't...divided?"

            Alexios's eyes snapped to hers, and his hands rose to remove Ms. Carruthers's fingers from now wandering over his chest. He bent his head and gave that woman a quick peck on her pouty lips and said, "Let me finish up with Ms. Hughes, and I'll meet you upstairs. Have Cosmo let you in."

            "Fine," she said in a spoiled brat tone, shooting a venomous look at Sydney before squaring her shoulders. "You know I don't like waiting, Lexie. I could change my mind... Just. Like. That." She snapped her fingers before turning and sashaying back the way she'd come, her behind twitching back and forth with every step she took.

            After watching her departure, Alexios turned his attention back to Sydney and said, "I apologize, Ms. Hughes—"

            Sydney shrugged. "No problem. I can see you have your hands full." She held his gaze for several beats to get her meaning across. Saw irritation flicker in the back of his eyes. Good. She hoped he'd become annoyed enough to send her packing. Get rid of her, or get serious about his job and forget that spoiled socialite who probably even now was crawling between his satin sheets.

            Shoving away that distasteful image, Sydney squared her shoulders and headed off Verga's next round of comments by continuing with, "If you don't mind introducing me to your head bartender, I'd like to ask him some questions and take notes. Maybe draw a quick sketch of where everything is kept."

            His dark brown eyes searched hers for a long moment, before he nodded and led her around the bar. The man behind it had wisely put his phone away, and was now taking Sydney's measure with assessing eyes under a mop of curls. He was younger than her, probably some UNLV student hoping to make a quick buck tending bar. Sydney smiled politely while Alexios made the introductions.