Chapter 14

"Let me rephrase that."

Yes, please do, Sydney thought wildly as her mind rushed to come up with a proper response to the CEO's comment. Alex sat back in his chair and pinned her with a measuring look. She straightened in her chair, feeling like a fourth grader in the principal's office. She threw another hail Mary glance toward the kitchen, and was startled to see Alexios leaning one elbow on the quartz countertop visible through the doorway.

Their gazes collided, his calmly reassuring as it landed on hers, and Sydney felt the tightness in her chest ease with that connection. He hadn't thrown her into the deep end without a life preserver; he would be there if she needed him and, because he was there, she knew she wouldn't. If she could face down the son when she met him, the father couldn't be any more difficult. And there wouldn't be that sexual pull to fight like she had with Alexios. She returned Alex's look.

"What I mean to say is, what are your qualifications?"

Ah, she could answer that one.

"I've worked in a highly successful bar for the last four years. If you go on any review site, you will find that patrons of Jimmy's leave feeling like they've been to the party of the year every time they go there.

"I also have a Bachelor's degree in Hospitality with an emphasis on hotel management. But more importantly, I know what sells. I listen to our clients, hear if they're grumbling about the lighting, or the wait to get in, or how few tables there are. I watch the dance floor. If you can lob a bowling ball down the center of it, your choice of music sucks. And lastly, I study bartenders. If you have preoccupied, low-energy staff, your patrons aren't going to return. Ditto if they're slimy with your female customers. Nobody wants to be hit on by the guy serving you your drink. A woman wants to feel safe at the bar.

"Unfortunately, sir, your lounge delivers on all those counts."

As the seconds passed, Sydney knew what it meant "to be so silent you could hear a pin drop." She faced Alexios's father squarely, even lifted her chin a little. She felt little quivers of fear crawling down her spine like spiders, but maintained eye contact.

As if cast in iron, the senior Verga sat motionless in his chair. She saw a dull flush grow under his complexion. His lips thinned into a single straight line, neither a smile nor a frown. If she were to wager a guess, Sydney figured he was pissed.

She didn't like making anyone angry, especially a man as proud as she imagined Mr. Verga to be. But she'd only spoken the truth. Besides, what could he do to her? Fire her? She hadn't wanted to work here in the first place, though now the thought of leaving sent dread shooting to the bottom of her stomach. Not now, not with Alexios branded on her memory, his taste on her lips, his mouth at her—

"Alexios, paidi mou, come here. You would never leave her to face me alone, so I know you are near. Ah, just like I thought."

Alexios entered at the first pronunciation of his name, but he never looked at his father. Rather, his gaze remained trained on Sydney, dark with just a hint of ironic humor in it as he pulled out the chair beside her and sat down. Once more his hand closed around hers in her lap. She resisted the sigh that begged to escape at his touch. Oh, how deep had she allowed her feelings to get for him?

"Did you hear what Sydney said? What is your reaction?"

Sydney's eyes shot from the father to the son. She bit her lip. She already knew Alexio's reaction. He'd kissed her in the storage room when she'd gone off on him. She didn't expect his father to react in that way, thank goodness. She could learn to be more subtle, but to what end? This pussy-footing around the boss had to stop. He was dragging the casino and lounge down with his outdated ideas, and someone needed to show him.