Chapter Two

Once I was outside, I stood in silence for a couple of minutes, trying to figure out where the closest hotel was. With the amount of pain a simple step caused me, I knew it would have to be extremely close but also far enough away that my dad wouldn't think to look if he decided to look for me. I wasn't entirely sure that wouldn't happen.

In the end, I recalled that there was a hotel about a ten minute walk from my home - old home, I should say. I wasn't sure how much it would cost me to stay there but I could only hope they would take pity on me and let me stay, just until the morning. 

Nodding to myself, I decided to head to the hotel anyway, knowing I had no other option. It was either that or risk collapsing here and I wasn't so sure what my dad would do if he found me unconscious on his doorstep. 

The further I walked down the street, the more relieved I felt. I was finally out of that house. I was finally free of the torment and abuse I had endured for so long. I didn't ever expect to get out of it, not alive at least. The only way I thought I would ever leave would be in a body bag, so it never seemed possible to me that I could make it out alive and yet, here I was, walking down a darkened street to head to a hotel. I could hardly believe my luck. 

Walking as fast as I could in my state, I suddenly tripped over a rock I hadn't noticed until the last second. I fell to ground, my suitcase somehow remaining standing. Hissing in pain, I gritted my teeth together. My breathing was becoming uneven as the pain I was already in tripled. 

"Stupid rock." I mumbled under my breath.

That was when I heard it. 

A laugh.

I froze in fear, pain momentarily forgotten about as I wondered who had laughed. As far as I was aware, there was no one but me around so to say I was scared was an understatement. Assuming it was my dad coming for me, I struggled to my feet, crying out as the pain in my ribs flared up. There was a strong possibility that they were broken by now; it was getting harder and harder to breathe properly. 

Grabbing my suitcase, I hurried along the street. The fear within me didn't diminish as I turned a corner, walking a little bit faster than before. It was difficult but I knew I had to push myself. I didn't feel safe and I wouldn't feel safe until I reached my destination.

Seeing the multiple houses with lights on made me feel a little safer at the thought I could knock on their doors if I needed to but that feeling soon changed when I suddenly felt as though I was being watched, though I heard no one. Shivers ran up my spine and the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end as I glanced around nervously, hoping I wouldn't see my dad. I didn't. In fact, I couldn't see anyone.

It could only have been around twenty minutes that had passed since I left the house but it felt like an eternity seeing as I knew that there was someone following me, I just couldn't see them. Although the hotel was only 10 minutes, at least, my current condition made the journey longer as I couldn't go very fast. That put me on edge, more than ever and I had to bite my lip to stop from crying. Hadn't I endured enough tonight? Why couldn't things go right just once? 

I wasn't sure whether I was just being paranoid and the laugh had just been a figment of my imagination but I didn't care. Whether or not there truly was someone following me, I didn't want to slow down and risk finding out. 

I'd definitely need a lot of painkillers once I reached the hotel, if it was even open. I wasn't sure what time it shut but considering it was pitch black outside, I knew I had to hurry if I was going to make it.  

Just get to the hotel, I told myself, I'll be safe there.

"Hello there." A deep voice spoke suddenly.