Chapter 17: Blizzard

*Edited*

" John! I need your help." Grace called out as she walked towards his office. Her bare feet hit the wooden floor of the hall. Today she was decorating the house for the upcoming holiday, Christmas. Grace had persuaded John to open up his house to the town. It took persuasion but in the end he agreed, now she had to decorate the house along with the help of John and the house hold staff. Grace held onto a strand of ribbon the colour of the red rose as she walked into his study without a knock on his great oak door.

" Darling, I am extremely busy right at this moment in time. I have to get through a lot of paper work." John said looking up for a brief moment before his eyes fell once again to the paper on which his quill and ink fell.

"But John, it is Christmas. A time for celebrating not working. So please, put down the quill and help us decorate the house." Grace asked his working figure as John sighed heavily as he placed the quill back into the ink jar and stood up. He wore a white shirt with a casual plain black waist coat over the top. His legs were adorned with long straight black trousers with freshly shined black formal shoes. His black long hair was hanging messy over his ears, a sign he never bothers to style it after he got out of his bed this morning.

"Grace, my love. I know that Christmas is coming up but these papers must be done." John whispered softly as he placed a hand onto her waist and pulled her body to his. His other hand placed itself onto Grace's soft cheek. "But I have to finish these papers. I wish I could join you, I really do."

" Do you know what, It is fine." Grace said pulling away from his hold with her eyes pointed to the ground. " I am going to go out for the rest of the day." She said as she turned and walked away from John as he sighed.

" Where are you going?"John asked as Grace as she stood in his door way. Her hand was placed on the frame while the other clutched the red ribbon tightly in her hand.

" To see my mother. It is nearly Christmas after all."

" Would you like to me accompany you?" Grace just shook her head as she turned slightly to look at him. Tears glistened in her eyes almost ready to fall.

" No, you stay here with your paper work." Grace muttered before walking out from the door frame and into the hallway. On her way she drop the ribbon not bothering to look back for it as she continued on her way down the hall to her room. John sighed as he rubbed his eyes with his right fingers as he turned around and walked back over to his desk, where he once again picked up his quill and began with signing the papers in front of him. He listen as Grace called out for Inira to be fetched.

Once in her room Grace changed into a deep purple gown with black lace lining the 'v' neck line The dress was made so that she would be able to ride a horse without having to go side saddle. She pulled her hair up and styled it into a plait. She looked into the mirror and with a nodded walked over to her shoes and pulled on a pair of black riding boots. She then reached into her wardrobe and pulled out her new black velvet hooded cloak. She rushed out the room and towards the stairs as she pulled on her cloak and tied it tightly around her neck.

"Miss, where are you going?" Cas said as Grace walked past her with a speed in her step.

" I am going, Cas. If you need anything John is up in his study where he always is." Grace hissed as she stepped out of the front door. The snow was falling softly down from the sky and softly landing onto the previously layer. Grace reached up and pulled her hood up and over her face. She walked over to her horse and placed her foot into the closer stirrup. She pulled herself up and took hold of the reins before pushing Inira off into a trot and then off into a canter down the drive way. John watched her from his study window as she cantered away from him, her black cloak waving about with the air that was pushed through it.