Memories

As Gray walked into the guild one morning, he sat down with Natsu, Erza, Happy, Wendy, and Carla. He got into a fight with Natsu, which was soon broken up by Erza. He felt like something was off about the guild, but blamed it on Erza hitting his head against Natsu's. 

As lunchtime rolled around, it hit him.

"Hey, where's Lucy?" He asked.

"I haven't seen her today." Erza replied.

"Me either." Natsu added.

"She usually shows up no matter what happens though." Wendy pointed out.

"Maybe someone should make sure she's okay." Gray suggested.

"Good idea, Gray. Go check on her, will you?" Erza said. Gray nodded and walked out of the guild. He walked at a brisk pace to Lucy's apartment, taking the stairs two at a time. He came to her door and knocked. A couple long seconds later, a quiet 'come in' came from the other side of the door. He opened the door and entered. He found Lucy standing in her kitchen, still in her silky pink pajamas. Her hair was slightly messed up, and an untouched cup of tea sat on the table along with her gate keys. 

"Hey." He greeted.

"Hi, Gray." She stared down at her feet.

"Everyone's worried about you, you know." He said as he stepped closer. "What's gong on."

"N-nothing." She didn't look at him. "I just didn't feel like going to the guild today. That's all."

"Lucy, you and I both know that you'd go to the guild even if we had eight feet of snow." He pointed out. "Now tell me, what's going on."

"It's nothing." She stared down. Gray lifted her chin so she would look at him.

"We're team mates, right?" He said "You can tell me."

"I-it's just that... Today..." She looked into those dark eyes of his. "Today is the day that my mother died." A tear slid down her cheek, followed by another. Gray stood there, now completely understanding.

"Oh, Lucy." His gaze softened. She looked down, tears streaming slowly down her face. He hugged her and she buried her face in his shirt. Her shoulders shook and she wrapped her arms tightly around his waist. Gray picked her up bridal style and took her to her bed, placing her gently on the edge. He sat next to her and wrapped his arm around her comfortingly. She leaned into him and cried into his shoulder. They stayed like that for a long time, Lucy crying on Gray and Gray gently stroking her golden hair.

"Gray?" She sniffled,

"Hmm?" He replied. 

"What did you do when your parents died?"She asked.

"Well, I had a lot of time to think about things." He said. "I would sit up at night and just think about them." 

"And that helped?" She asked.

"In time, it did." He answered. "It takes a long time for wounds like that to heal, but they will."

"Okay." She took a deep breath, straightening herself. 

"All you can really do is wait for time to heal it, and don't hide everything." He said. "It'll just stress you out if you do that." 

"Okay." She breathed.

"Wanna just lay here for a while?" He suggested. She nodded. They laid back together and looked up at her ceiling. They stayed like that for a couple minutes.

"Should we go to the guild?" Lucy asked.

"If you want to." He replied. She went to get dressed and came out to meet Gray by the door. They stepped out and walked together. Their hands brushed. Lucy hesitantly held his hand, and he made no move to break them apart. They walked slowly to the guild and stopped at the door. They separated their hands and Gray pushed the doors open. A couple people turned to see them come in, but went back to whatever they were doing. They sat down across from Natsu and Erza, who eyed them with suspicion. 

"What took so long, popsicle?" Natsu taunted.

"What did you call me?" They stood.

"You heard me, popsicle!" Natsu got into his fighting stance.

"You're asking for it, Fire hazard!" They began to fight. They called each other names that had been used so many times that they had lost their meaning, and brawled int the middle of the guild. Others joined in, soon getting knocked out by the dragon slayer and ice wizard. Lucy giggled as Elfman's sentence of manliness had been cut off by an icy fist and a burning fist punching him in the face, knocking him out for a while. Gray sighed in relief as he heard her giggle.

"Hey, don't get distracted so easily when you're fighting me!" Natsu yelled.

"I can't help the fact that I'm stronger than you!" Gray retaliated.

"Yeah, right!" Natsu spat back. 

The fight went on for a good fifteen minutes, until Erza's cake fell to the floor. Natsu and Gray froze in their tracks, knowing very well what was coming next. They gasped and hugged each other, frantically jumping around.

"We're best friends, right Natsu?" Gray said quickly.

"Aye sir!" He explained. Gray never wanted to forget the feeling of relief when he saw that smile on Lucy's face.

"You two are something else." She laughed.