A Million Apologies

The guild was in good spirits one summer morning, with a soft warm breeze flowing through the open windows. Everyone was happy and content, except for a certain ice wizard. Team Natsu sat at their usual table after completing a job earlier that morning.

"Lucy, I'm so sorry," Gray said for the thirtieth time that day.

"Gray!" Lucy groaned, "Stop apologizing! I know you were trying to protect me, and I forgive you. I should be thanking you. So please, stop."

"But I froze you in a block of ice!" He said.

"I don't care! I'm perfectly fine! If you hadn't frozen me, I would have gotten hurt. I'm not mad at you." Lucy explained exasperatedly. Gray sighed and crossed his arms, leaning back away from the table. Erza, Natsu, and Happy watched the exchange to see what Gray would do next.

"Can I at least buy you something or do something for you?" Gray reasoned.

"You don't have to do anything." Lucy said, frustrated at how stubborn Gray was being.

"Please? I feel like crap for doing that."

"Just let him do it, Lucy." Erza sighed as she sharpened one of her many swords. Lucy turned back to Gray.

"Fine. Don't get anything too expensive or fancy, ok?" She finally gave in. Gray's mood brightened and he left to tell Mira he was going home for the day. Lucy sighed and slumped down on the table, defeated by the day's happenings. After talking about books with Levy for a while and then chatting with Mira, she noticed it was getting late.

"I'm gonna go now, Mira. See you tomorrow!" Lucy said cheerfully.

"Bye, be safe on you way home!" Mira replied sweetly, sending her off.

Lucy turned the doorknob and let out the breath she had been holding as she saw nobody had entered her home without permission. She took a quick shower and changed into her favorite pink pajamas. Eventually, she drifted off into a dream of what Gray would end up doing for her. She bolted upright as she realized what she was thinking. 'Wait, What? Why am I dreaming about THAT?! And of all people, why HIM?" She scolded herself."No, no, no! I can't think about that. He surely wouldn't go overboard on something for me" She shrugged it off and fell asleep.

The next morning, Lucy woke up early. She picked out a white tank-top and a black skirt. She put on some black boots and put her hair up in her normal side pony tail with a black ribbon. 'classy!' she winked at herself in a mirror. She walked to the guild and opened the doors.

"Hi everyone!" She cheered. She was greeted by her guild mates and she walked over to the bar where Mira was cleaning a tankard with a small rag.

"Hey Lucy! Can I get something for you?" Mira said with a beautiful smile. Lucy ordered a strawberry milkshake and Mira danced off to get it for her.

"Lu-chan!" A friendly voice called out. Lucy turned and smiled when she saw Levy running over to her.

"Hey Levy! What's gotten you so excited?" Lucy asked. Levy sat down on the stool next to her and squealed a little before talking.

"Guess what Gajeel did yesterday!!" She cheered. "He asked me If I wanted to go out with him!!! Aha! It was so awesome, Lu-chan!"

"So, he finally did it." Lucy smiled and congratulated Levy with a big hug.

"Hey, Levy, have you seen Gray yet this morning?" She asked.

"No, he hasn't come in yet. He should be coming soon, though." Levy scratched her chin as she thought.

"Oh, right. Ok then."Lucy glanced to the guild doors.

"Lu-chan... You like Gray, don't you?" Levy teased.

"No! I mean, uh.... Not really...He's a great friend and all, but I wouldn't say I like him." Lucy sputtered, blushing. Levy giggled and walked back over to Gajeel and began reading her favorite book. Lucy looked around every five minutes and sipped at her milkshake. Finally, twenty minutes later, Gray pushed the doors open and crossed the room with purpose in his stride and sat down next to Lucy.

"Sorry to keep you waiting for so long." Gray started.

"It's okay. Did you run here or something?" Lucy asked. He was breathing kind of hard.

"Most of the way, yeah. Here, I got this for you." He handed Lucy a small blue box with a pink ribbon on it. By now, a small group of people had gathered around them, including Natsu, Erza, and Happy to see. Everyone knew what had happened the previous day thanks to Erza and Mira's masterful information spreading techniques. Lucy carefully removed the ribbon and opened the box. One of her hands shot up to cover her mouth as she gasped.

"Gray," She said softly. He scratched the back of his head and tried to look away.

"What is it?" The surrounding members said. Lucy pulled a necklace out of the box that had an icy blue gem hanging on it out of the box. Now, almost all the guild members were crowded around them, including Master Makarov himself. They all gawked as the gem shined and sparkled in the light.

"Gray, it's beautiful!" Lucy threw her arms around him and caused him to almost fall over backwards at the unexpected force of her body.

"It's not much..." He said through her hair.

"Yeah, it is! It's so pretty. Thank you so much!" She hugged him even tighter (if it was possible). The entire guild seemed to say "Aww" all together. After a couple seconds Lucy released Gray and looked him in the eyes. She thought she could see a small blush on his cheeks, but waved it aside.

"Did you take so long getting here this morning because you were buying this?" She realized.

"Uh, yeah. I remembered you talking about how you wanted more necklaces a couple days ago, so..." he responded shyly. Mira squealed and little hearts popped into her eyes. Lucy dreaded the matchmaking mischief that was churning in her mind.

Gray, Lucy, and Mira chatted for a while until Natsu came running up to them and asked them to go on a job.

"Well, I'm going to need money for rent... Sure!" Lucy cheerfully accepted, taking the flyer in her hands.

"Okay, whatever." Gray said. They rose from their seats at the bar and readied themselves for a new mission.