Chapter 5

April......(I lost track of the days)

Zayn and I were strolling down the long corridors and through the huge doors. He kept quiet the entire time. I could tell that he really hated this job but for some odd reason, he stayed. Why he stayed, I didn't know. It was eating away at the back of my brain, so I decided to ask him.

"Hey, Zayn?" I asked him. He jumped a little; my question had caught him by surprise.

"Hm?"

I took a short breath, almost like the question was ready to come out but it had got caught in my throat on its way into Zayn's ears.

"I can tell that you don't like working here." Zayn stopped walking and glanced back at me. He couldn't believe I had broken through his barriers. "So, why do you do it if you don't believe in the same things that everyone else here believes?

I mean I know that you..." I looked around to make sure no one was listening. "....like Niall. And that's being gay, which is like a big no-no here. The bottom line is, I just wanna know why you're here when you could be out living your life and doing things that make you happy." I finished with a sigh.

Zayn answered me almost immediately. “I do it, because my father would shoot me down if I didn’t…” he said to me. He has this look in his eyes, like he was reminiscing a horrible memory. “Ever since I was little, my father knew I was gay, I don’t know how, he just knew. So he concocted this plan with Hayley’s father to make me work here from the age of 14, so that I could see what happened to those who were ‘diseased’. He thought it would knock the gay out of me or something like that. Of course, that is not that case, but he doesn’t have to know that, and if he finds out that his plan has not worked out for him, he will probably kill me.

So that’s why I am here, so my life doesn’t end….” Zayn looked over at me to see if I was satisfied with the response that he had given me. I was.

“I am sorry that things have to be so complicated for you.” I wasn’t sure if that was the right thing to say at the moment, but it was all I could come up with. I could tell that the subject was kind of a sore one for the raven haired lad so I just dropped it.

We continued walking down the continuous corridors. I was pondering why it always seemed to take forever to get somewhere in this place.

We finally reached where we were meant to be, I knew this because Zayn stopped walking right when we had reached a door. This particular door, was different because every door that I had seen so far, was made of metal, this door, was made purely out of wood.

There was a very large sign above the door that read:

THE HEALING PROCESS: STAGE TWO

Zayn turned to me and looked into my eyes. There was nothing said for a few moments before I decided that I needed to break the silence. "Can you tell me what this is? Like what is this stage about exactly?" I asked him curiously.

Zayn looked down and exhaled a breath of exhaustion. I could tell that all of my questions were beginning to get on the taller lad’s nerves. But, he answered me anyway.

“Stage two is basically a class; like school. They sit everyone down, and they spend hours teaching you the history of the Enforcers and the history of the Carcerum, and they also teach you the horrible reasons why you should not be gay and all of the dreadful things that will happen to you if you continue to be gay.”

It sounded a lot nicer and easier than Stage One, but it still didn’t sound like a pleasant way to spend my hours. Then again, nothing did anymore….