Chapter Twenty one

Surprise

Alex

"Daddy when are you coming home? I miss you, you been gone for so long."

"Alex baby you gotta wake up, I need you, Alexis needs you."

"Son if you can hear me I need you to fight this. I know you'll be alright but you gotta fight."

I gotta fight, I gotta wake up, but I don't want to wake up. I've been stuck in this reality for to long, and finally having the chance to step away from it makes me never want to go back.

"And what about Alexis." I looked over in the direction of the sweet anglic voice speaking to me. "I love my daughter but I'm not ready to go back." I told her, my voice cracking with every word and soon I began to cry. "Hush there boy, theres no need to cry mommy's always here for you. But you have a child that needs you, and its not your time yet. You can't stay here." My mother explained and I shook my head in understanding.

"Your right, it's just I missed you so much momma. Dads been so lost without you. I've been so lost without you!" I cried and droped my head not wanting her to see me cry. My mother came closer to me and lifted my head so that our eyes met. "Listen to me, you have people who depend on you, a life with people who love you and a family waiting to be built. Don't let your decisions in life label who you are and don't let life pass you by. We don't always get second chances." She gave me a kiss on my cheeks and one last hug. "When you wake up life will be different, what you will experience may cause you grief but keep faith and I promise your blessings will rain. I love you Alexander." And just like that she was gone.

"Mr. Thomas, Mr. Thomas can you see me?" The doctor questioned while flashing a bright light into my eyes. I groaned out in pain, I tried to speak but my throat was extremely dry. "Nurse get him some water." The Doctor said. I attempted to sit up but I couldn't quite get it on my own. The doctor helped me. "Mr. Thomas, do you know why you're here?" He asked me just as the nurse came back with my water. I drunk the entire cup and felt a wave of relief rush through my body. I nodded my head answering his question.

"Do you know how long you've been here?" I shook my head no. "Mr. Thomas you've been in a coma for three months now. You were shot and lost alot of blood but we believe you will recover just fine now that you're awake." He said trying to assure me. My head began to hurt, three months? I've been gone for that long.

"We called your family. They should be here soon. We're going to run more tests on you while you wait on them so try to stay awake ok?" The Doctor said. "Ok." I managed to choke out.

After a few blood test, hearing test, seeing test and a blood pressure test the doctors told me I was completely healthy and functioning properly. "Mr. Thomas now were going to check the nerves in the lower half of your body." He showed me a picture of a x-ray. "As you can see here, the bullet that entered you got lodged in the lower half of your spinal cord. It didn't do any major damage to you nervous system but there is still a chance of you being disabled." I sighed. Earlier I noticed a tingling sensation in my legs but couldn't move them. The doctor told me to give them more time so we can fully evaluate the problem. "What if I don't leave here walking, will I be paralyzed forever?" I questioned lowly. The doctor gave me a sly smile. "We do not anticipate you being permanently paralyzed but yes there is a possibility of that happening." I dropped my head at his words. "Mr. Thomas your family has signed you up with the best physical therapist in the state, and you said you have feeling in your legs and that's a great sign. I promise you everything will be alright." The doctor said sincerely. I nodded my head. "Thank you Doctor." He smiled and shook my hand and just as he walked out Renée walked in. I felt my heart stop at her presence. She stood in the doorway and smiled at me. I could see the tears welling up in her eyes as she stared at me, and just as the tears began to drop from her eyes she practically ran to me and pulled me into her embrace. I felt a breath that I didn't know I was holding release as our bodies made contact.