Chapter Twenty

Renée

Everything happened so fast. One second he was fine then the next he was in critical condition. After Alex passed out it took us ten minutes to reach the hospital, by then he had lost a lot of blood. Rushing him into the hospital the doctors automatically rushed him into surgery. I followed him as far as they would let me go, then watched them push him through the double doors towards the back. Crying I feel to my knees.

I can't lose him, I just couldn't lose him. I would never be able to forgive myself. How would I even explain something like this to Alexis, her daddy is her everything and I would be the cause of the effect this would have on her. I cried all night long screaming and hoping that he would be OK. Nene and Roc tried to calm down me but it wasn't working if anything it just made things worse. It was as if someone had ripped my heart clean out my chest. This feeling was unbearable, and I didn't want to feel it anymore. I just wanted to go to sleep and wake up and see that none of this happened. As if it was all some fucked up dream.

"Nene......Nene baby wake up." Weakly, my eyes fluttered open to see Jenaé hovering over me gently trying to wake me. "Were's Alex?" I croaked and she sighed. "He just got out of surgery but he's not awake. His dad and Alexis got here about a hour ago, their in there with him now." She informed me. "What time is it?" "Its Seven A.M. You've only been sleep for two hours." She said and I nodded my head. Standing up everything seemed to spin and my eyes were barley open because they were swollen from all the crying I had been doing.

"I have to see Alex. What room is he in?" I said and Jenaé looked at me with concern. "I think you should go home and rest before you go see him Ne." I shook my head "No I needa see him now. Right now! RIGHT NOW!" I said getting rowdy and she quickly nodded her head rubbing circles in my back in attempt to calm me. "Okay, okay just relax. He's in room 1303. I'll take you there." She said and I nodded.

When we reached Alex's room, I could hear the faint sniffles from behind the door and my heart went straight to aching. I entered the room and Alexis's blood shot eyes darted towards me. She seemed relieved by my presence and jumped up at the sight of me, running straight into my arms releasing all her pain and sadness. I held her as she cried into my shoulder, wrapping her arms tightly around my neck as if her life depended on it. "Shhh, it's going to be okay. Your daddy is a fighter." I said reassuringly and she just continued to cry. I picked her up and walked over to her grandfather. Looking into his eyes I could tell he had been crying also. I sat down next to him, Alexis still in my arms but at this point her cries had quieted. I grabbed a hold of Mr.Thomas's hand and squeezed lightly letting him know I was here for them.

"They don't know if he's going to wake up. He lost a lot of blood, the doctor should be here to give us more information." He whispered. "What if he never wakes up Renée?" He continued and I felt my heart skip a beat. This man was aching because of my problems. I knew it was bad to get Alex involved and I involved him anyways. "He'll wake Mr. Thomas, Alex was never the type to stray away from a battle and this is just another one of his many fights that he will win." I said trying to stay as positive as possible. Mr. Thomas nodded and wiped his eyes of the tears that had fallen. Looking over at Alex I felt my bottle of emotions ready to spill over again. Here I was trying to console his family and I couldn't even keep it together.

I felt tears at the brim of my eyes as I fought to keep cool in front of Alexis and Mr. Thomas. I guess he noticed because he grabbed the hand I had in his and cuffed it between both of his hands. "It's okay. Let it go, you don't have to pretend for us." He told me and as if on cue the tears began flowing as I silently cried. We stayed like that for about ten minutes before the doctor walked in.

"Hello, I'm sorry to interrupt but I have the x-rays to show you for Alexander." He said and I nodded. He walked over to me and Mr. Thomas and showed us the pictures of Alex's spinal cord. "Looking at the X-ray here you can see that the bullet lodge it's self in the side of his spine. It entered from his right side in the lower region of his back getting caught between fragments of his spinal cord. There is a possibility that he could fully recover from this because there was no major damage to his nervous system, but there is also a chance that he may never walk again. Because of the way the bullet entered him and got stuck we felt it was best to leave it in giving him a fighting chance to walk again. But all in all his surgery went well so we do not anticipate him on being in a coma for long. At this point it all depends on him. But I do believe he will wake up soon, he's a fighter because when he got here he had lost more than enough blood to cause heart failure and his main organ systems to shut down due to the lack of oxygen entering his body.. He should be dead right now, but he's not. Just be patient I truly believe with everything in me that he'll be fine." The Doctor said to us and I smiled weakly at him as Mr. Thomas thanked him for his help.