One: Ana

July 1st, 1483, Bulgaria

"Katerina!"
The call rang out among the hills, the sound of bubbly laughter following it.
I followed the laughter, giggling myself, and found my sister crouching underneath the old oak tree.
"Ana." she whispered, gesturing for me to come closer.
I crouched so I could be closer to her, eyes widened in anticipation.
It seemed Katerina would be telling me a secret.
"My ribbon. It's in the tree."
My eyes followed hers, and yes, her white ribbon was tangled in one of the branches, fluttering and out of place from the dark bark.
"Will you get it for me? Please?" she pleaded with me.
"But what if-"
Her laughter interrupted me.
"Always the worrier, Ana. You should be more like me. Brave and carefree."
"If you insist then, I'll get the ribbon." I said, biting my lower lip.
She smiled.
"I'll catch you if you fall. I promise."
And I began the trek up the tree.
Branches and bark scratched my exposed legs as I climbed.
I refused to look down below, where I knew Katerina was watching me with gleaming eyes.
Up and down, Ana. It's simple. I told myself.
Finally, I grabbed the ribbon, clutching it in my sweaty hands, and climbed back down, much faster now that my brain had comprehended where to latch my feet onto.
As soon as my feet touched the ground, I handed the ribbon to Katerina proudly.
She had her hand on her mouth, trying to hide her clear laughing.
Her eyes traveled down to my dress, and I followed her gaze.
"Katerina! This was a new dress! Mother made it special!" I said, horrified.
The white dress was covered in dirt and torn. My bare legs were covered in scratches and bruises as well, as well as my hands.
"Come, let's go back." Katerina said, her ribbon now back in her hair.
She looked the vision of perfection, nothing out of place.
And I, the vision of disarray.
"Mother will kill me." I whispered.
"No, she won't." Katerina whispered words of encouragement into my ear as we walked home, hand in hand.
Mother saw us approaching and came to meet us.
Her eyes widened when she caught a closer glimpse of me.
"Ana! What happened?"
"Mother... I can explain." Katerina said.
"Ana was climbing the tree because she wanted to prove she was braver than me. I told her to stop, but she didn't. She's been very disobedient."
"That's a lie-" I tried to say, but Mother cut me off, her expression hardening.
"Do not call your sister a liar. Go to Father, now. He will decide your punishment."
I walked off angrily, tears stinging my eyes.
How could she?
Later that night, when my hands hurt from the number of times Father had slapped them, Katerina walked quietly into the room we shared.
"I'm sorry, Ana. Can we be best sisters again?"
I smiled, nodding.
"Of course, Katerina."
This was how it always went, every time. Katerina was quite the manipulator.
I don't know how I didn't see it before.

Ugh, I'm angry about the picture. I couldn't find any brown haired girls, so deal with the blonde ones. Oh, and Katerina and Ana are 10 in this chapter.