TUTORS AND TORTURE

Start from the beginning

She looked at me with a doubtful look again before she smirked maliciously. "I have a better idea," she said, "Why don't we ask James himself? If you have been invited, then he must know, right?"

My heart gave a big lump as she said those words. I hadn't even thought if James wanted me in his birthday party or not! What if he didn't want me to be there? What if his mother had forced him to invite me? What if he didn't even know she had invited me?

"Alright," I said at last as I nodded. I couldn't back down or I knew it would be worst, "Go ahead."

Her smirk got larger as she turned her gaze to where the marauders sat "Oy! James!" she called out.

His head turned to her immediately and he smiled. "Fiona." he nodded.

"Could you come here, please?" she asked, "It's really important!"

He raised an eyebrow at her but came to where we were sitting anyway, sliding down between Fiona and Meagan. "What may I be of help, fair Lady?"

She giggled. "So," she said, "We were just here talking about you birthday ball in November."

He nodded with a smile, but his eyes gave in the boredom he was in 😑😐, "What about it?"

"Well......we were wondering if Lily here was invited. I mean, she's saying she was, but I just can't belie-"

"Of course she was," James interrupted calmly, as if it was the most normal thing in the whole world.

Fiona looked at him in disbelief and I tried my best not to show the gratitude I was feeling for him in that moment. He didn't deserve it, even if he was being nice to me. "She is?" she asked, probably not believing what she had heard.

"Yeah," he said, "I told my mum myself I wanted her there."

Now that surprised me; he had actually wanted me to go?

Not giving me time to ponder that, his gaze turned to me, and I could see the amusement in his eyes, "By the way Lily," he started "I still haven't told you about what day it is and stuff like that. Mum said you never told her if you were actually going or not."

Trying to hide my awkwardness, I cleaned my throat and managed a small smile "I...uh... I was busy," I said, "Give her my apologies and inform her I'm going, please."

James nodded "Of course. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be going. Talk to you later Lils. See you girls!"

And he dashed away, leaving Fiona stunned. Alice was nodding approvingly and Charlotte was smiling. Anna, as usually, kept eating as if nothing that was happening bothered her much.

"You weren't kidding," Fiona said, a somewhat disappointed tone in her voice.

I shook my head. Charlotte, who was sitting next to me, was grinning as she hugged me, "Thank Merlin you're going!" she told me, "At least now I'll have company. I was dreading to be all by myself in that party."

I smiled back at her, as Meagan thrown her an envious look and Fiona just looked away, "You're going too, then?" I asked.

She nodded, "I'm forced to."

I raised my eyebrow "Pourquoi?" I asked her and she looked at me strangely. Smiling I clarified, "I meant why?"

She shrugged, "You know how it is: pureblood families are always connected one way or another."

Now that intrigued me: it was a known truth that pureblood families were almost always related in some way; I had never really thought Charlotte could actually be in that role as well. What would she be to James?