Chapter 1: A Chance Encounter.

"Welcome back, students. Today is Monday, September 12th at exactly 8:15 am. We do hope you have a great year here at Lenchester. Have a wonderful day," Mr. Western, the strict principal at Lenchester, said over the intercom.

Sam began to walk towards her tan locker when her friends, Alex and Beth, stopped her in her tracks.

"Hey Sam. We are so sorry to hear about your parents. They were really great people," Alex said as she pulled Sam into a tight hug. The two pulled apart from each other and Sam nodded her head,

"Thanks. It means a lot for me to hear you say that," Sam said, as she lightly smiled at her.

"How are Cami and Reed taking it?" Beth asked, as the three began to make their way over to Sam's locker.

"Better then I am, let's just say that," Sam said as she opened up her locker.

"It'll get better, I promise," Alex said as she patted her on the shoulder.

"I hope so," Sam said with worry still in her voice.

______________________________________________________________________________

Justin walked into Kingley High School to find the whole place jam packed. He began to weave his way through the crowd, trying to reach his locker at the end of the long hallway.

"Good morning, everyone!" Their principal, Mrs. Smith began. "Today is September 12th, Monday, and it is bright and early. We are glad to see so many students this year, ready to learn. Please remember to follow your class schedules and school policies and rules. Have a great year!"

The intercom crackled and then was silent.

Justin finally made it to his locker and quickly scrolled in his combination. Once it was open he dropped his book bag inside and pushed his books on to the shelf. He grabbed his class schedule and then proceeded to grab the materials he needed for his first period.

"Hey dude. Sorry to hear about your uncle," His friend, Logan said from behind him.

Justin turned around to face him,

"Thanks, man. My Aunt Patty has been miserable for the past week. I just wish there's more I could do to help her," Justin said as he and Logan grabbed each other's hand and pulled into a bro hug.

"I know it's hard to go through this," Logan said as the bell for first period rang.

"Got to go. See you at lunch?" Logan asked as he began to walk backwards.

"Yeah, definitely." Justin called back.

__________________________________________________________________________

Sam sat in her algebra class in completely and utter boredom. Her head rested on the palm of her hand as her teacher, Mrs. DaVinci, lectured to the class. Mrs. DaVinci, an older woman of about 62, was a slow talker and a dragged her words.

"So class, if you need to find X in an equation..."

Sam tuned her teacher out as she began to stare out the window. As she was on the second floor, she was at eye level with a tree on the outdoors.

Sam noticed that there was a small nest sitting on one of the branches. It appeared as though there was an egg laying among the twigs. A moment later, a large bird swept down and landed up the egg.

But, as soon as she sat, the egg began to crack. A beak pushed through the white shell, the mother bird backed up and let the little bird push it's way out of the egg. Sam smiled as the tiny bird began to chirp and hop around the nest.