What can Never be Taken Back.

"I'm hungry." Mabel complained on the drive home.

"I'm sure Grunkle Stan is making something right now." Dipper responded from the back. Once again he'd been cheated out of the passenger seat.

"Mhmm, but I'm hungry now!" Turning in her seat, Mabel narrowed her gaze playfully.

"I wonder how brother would taste." She asked.

"Why don't you bite yourself and see? You too are twins after all." Soos cut in. Mabel and Dipper both stared at him.

"Wow Soos, that's really messed up." Dipper observed. Mabel giggled.

"But he's right! I bet you and I taste exactly the same!"

"Let's never test that theory." Dipper shuddered.

"How about we listen to some music?" Soos asked, reaching out to turn on the stereo.

"Sure, sounds good!" Mabel responded. Outside, twilight had already dyed the sky in violet, and the moon shone meekly out from behind the wispy clouds. In the front seat Soos and Mabel began to sing loudly(and off key) to a song Dipper had never heard before, and the brown haired boy decided to focus his attentions on the dark faces of the trees as they bled past the car in a long black line. Looking out there now, Dipper couldn't help but wonder what mysterious creatures were looking back- what magic awaited just beyond his reach. In the four boring years he'd been away, Dipper had missed the exhilaration of encountering something never before seen. Something new every day, some grand adventure no matter where he went. It was like he had a secret all his own – one he was hiding away from the whole world.

Except for his friends of course.

Smiling, Dipper caught sight of a flash of light just beyond his window. Attempting to peer pass his darkened reflection in the window, Dipper tried to get a better look into the darkness.

"Hey guys..." he spoke distractedly. There wasn't anything now, but he could've sworn he'd seen something.

"...I think there might be something out th...!" Dipper gasped as a shadow whopped just past his window.

"What's up, Dip?" Mabel asked, turning in her seat.

"Soos!" Dipper shouted leaning forward. Suddenly the car came to a stop with the screeching sound of metal and the scent of gasoline. Wide eyed, Dipper gazed out into the darkness outside the windshield... at nothing.

"Wha...?" he started, then the car was flying through the air, spinning wildly. Dipper tried to reach for something, but he could no longer tell which way was up and which was down. There was just that horrible lightness, like he was floating, like everything had stopped.

And then they hit the ground.

"Fucking hell." Dipper cursed, clutching at the seatbelt which was currently cutting off his circulation.

He blinked, attempting to gather his bearings. In front of him, Soos was dangling limply in his seat, and it struck Dipper that the car was upside down.

"Soos, Soos.." Dipper coughed, reaching to his left and unbuckling his seatbelt – sending himself sprawling across the hood of the car.

"Soos." Crawling forward, Dipper reached out towards his friend.

There was no response.

"Soos?" Crawling over the center console, Dipper released a sound halfway between a scream and a cough. Soos' head was twisted unnaturally far to the left and hanging limply.