A Warning Unheeded

The next morning, Dipper awoke to the scent of pancakes and Mabel singing loudly from the bathroom downstairs. Groaning, he rolled over and buried his face in his pillow.

How had Mabel turned into a morning person? Was she forced to because she had to do her make-up and hair? When they were younger nothing could wake her up before ten o'clock.

Placing his feet on the cool wooden floors, Dipper ran his fingers through his hair, slipping into a pair of sweats and lazily heading downstairs.

"Look whose awake! 'Mornin lazy bones!" Mabel called as he passed the bathroom. Glared at her as he passed. It was too early to deal with her energy. He needed coffee in his system. Then he'd be able to catch up with his overactive sister.

"Kid, you look like shit." Grunkle Stan commented when Dipper entered the kitchen.

"Right back at you. I guess now I know which side of the family I get it from." Dipper cut off with a yawn.

"That would actually be pretty impressive if you didn't look like you were about to fall asleep. Sit."

Dipper sat at the table, and his Uncle poured him a cup of coffee, setting it in front of his nephew.

"Thanks." Dipper said, taking a sip.

Bitter. He blanched, then took another swallow, feeling the last cobwebs of sleep clear from his mind.

"I want pancakes! I want pancakes!" Mabel cried, storming into the kitchen in a world wind of fruity smelling perfume.

"On the table." Grunkle Stan said, nodding at the plate towered high with flapjacks.

"Yes!" Mabel cried, stacking five on her plate and coating them with syrup. Dipper followed suite, but held back on the syrup. Unlike his sister, he wasn't much of a fan of sweets.

"So what time are Soos and Wendy coming?" He asked through a mouthful of fluffy goodness.

"Soos is already here. And as for Wendy..." Their Uncle shrugged. "I talked to her dad and asked him to tell her you two were coming back to Gravity Falls, but I don't know whether she's coming back for the summer or not."

"Ah." Mabel moped, face falling. "I wanted to ask her what it was like- being in college. Right, Dip?" She nudged her brother before turning back to her food.

"Yeah." Dipper felt slightly disappointed that he couldn't chat with Wendy, but nothing like how he would've felt four years ago. He used to have the biggest crush on the plaid loving teen, but after a couple months the romance wore away and Dipper saw her as just a friend. He had hoped to get a chance to talk with her though, but not about college but about Gravity Falls, about everything that had happened since the twins had left.

Especially after the cryptic message he'd received last night from Bill. Just thinking about it made Dipper's hair stand on end.

"This town isn't what it used to be. Something's different. Something's changed. There's...darkness now."

"Dipper?" The chocolate haired boy looked up from his plate, meeting his sibling's concerned gaze.

"You okay? You really zoned out there for a moment." She stated. Dipper offered her a smile.

"Yeah. Just need more coffee." Standing, he headed towards the coffee pot, trying to clear his mind of all thoughts of Dream demons and evil entities. He didn't want to worry his sister, and he most certainly didn't want to ruin their last summer together.

Lifting the coffee pot, Dipper poured the remainder of the dark brown liquid into his mug, deciding it was best not to worry about it. Whatever Bill was talking about, whatever was haunting this town, it couldn't be that bad, right?

Smiling, he turned back to his family, intent on enjoying their time together. Still, even as he moved to his seat, he couldn't shake the nagging feeling that maybe, just maybe, he should give Bill's warning a little consideration.