Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty (Adam)

I managed to make it to Seth's room without getting stopped by the medical personnel or jumped by any members of Zephyra that would be nearby.

I closed the door as quietly as possible behind me and went straight to the window that looked out into the hallway. I pulled the blinds down and shut so no one would see that I was inside. I turned to Seth, who was still unconscious in his hospital bed. I grimaced for a moment, studying the way he seemed to struggle to breath.

He looked so much smaller now. He was heavily bandaged around his torso to keep his busted ribs in place, bandages still around his legs. He was still hooked up to a couple of the machines, one of which being a heart monitor that beeped steadily. He was definitely still in pain, even with the IV bag dripping morphine into his system to keep him unconscious. Moving him would only hurt him more and probably be detrimental to his health, but so would leaving him here. Zephyra was going to swarm this place and if what Daimonas said was true, about the demon inside him, they would try and get their hands on him too.

They would know as soon as they saw him that something was wrong. A normal human would have been killed in this kind of accident, but Seth wasn't a regular human anymore and Zephyra would jump right on that.

I took a deep breath and approached the bed, studying the different machines as they beeped and hummed. I had no idea what unplugging these things would do. They could just kill Seth, demon or no demon. It might make things worse, it might not help at all, but I couldn't very well leave Seth here because Zephyra would find him and take him back to wherever they took Daimonas.

And I couldn't let that happen.

I could practically hear Seth bitching at me in the back of my mind, warning me not to let them take him anywhere. Seth would probably have punched me by now for even hesitating. I took a deep breath and started to slowly unplug things, taking great care to slip the IV out of his arm, pulling the wires off his chest and forehead.

I waited a while after unplugging the machines so they didn't all make loud obnoxious sounds to alert anyone to the room. I looked at Seth, waiting to see him go still, but his chest was still rising and falling slowly. He didn't wake up, though. They must have drugged him up big time, and it took a lot to subdue Seth.

I tried to find his clothes in the room, but there was no sign of them. They'd probably been torn apart during the crash, I decided and went back to the bed. I took my jacket off and carefully propped Seth up so I could slide the jacket onto him. There goes my other jacket, I sighed wearily. I pulled Seth up into my arms, finding it easier than carrying anyone else considering how small Seth was.

I started toward the door, pausing by the window to peer out between the blinds just as a couple of nurses were rushing by.

"... something major! Make sure to phone the cops!" One of them was shouting to someone else. I narrowed my eyes and stepped back, ready to go out the door when I heard someone jiggle the handle. My eyes flickered and I quickly went to the bathroom on the other side of the room. I ducked inside and carefully placed Seth down in one corner, pausing to check his pulse to make sure I was actually protecting a living person. Sure enough, there was a steady beat and I went to the door, closing it just as someone kicked down the door to the main room.

I went still on the other side of the door, listening to someone shuffling around, boots clomping, and a walkie talkie chattering statically.

"He's not here," Someone's muffled voice growled, "Someone already took him."

"Check everywhere. I'll get the bathroom, make sure Chase checked the rooms down the hall. He couldn't have gotten far." Another man's voice ordered. I took a deep breath and stepped back, just as the door opened. The vampire's eyes widened in shock and he started to attack, but I brought my foot up and kicked him under the jaw, sending him falling backwards onto the ground. I immediately went on and stomped hard on his gut, making him choke.