Stop While You're Ahead

Diana

'I thought you hated Alan,' my mum asked as I was setting the table for dinner. I shrugged.

'I don't know. He just...'

'Makes your stomach flip?' My mum supplied, giving me a half smile as she chopped up carrots and leeks. I laughed,

'No, more than that. He makes me feel alive.'

'Oh, honey, that's so good. Ever since Jay you've been so sad. I'm not going to tell you to forget your past, but maybe just make it a good memory? It's time to look to your future. I have a feeling that, for now, it's with Alan and Jessica.'

She chucked the vegetables in the pot that was bubbling away at the stove; she was making potato and leek soup, adding in carrots for a bit of added flavour. By now, the potatoes had been in the pot for fifteen minutes and it was nearly ready to serve up, the other vegetables just had to warm up.

We sat down at the table and I poured some cream in my bowl, adding a few twists of pepper and a sprinkle of salt. Dinner passed pretty quietly, and my mum decided then to bring up "the talk".

'Diana, I know that you and Alan have moved along quite quickly,' she started, taking a pause from eating, 'but I just want you two to be careful.'

'Mum, where are you going with this?'

She sighed, weighing her words. 'You've never been in an actual relationship, honey, and you should know what you're getting into. Alan might want to do... Things you may not be comfortable with and you should know its okay to say no.'

'Mum!' I complained, placing my spoon in my bowl. 'I'm eating.'

She shrugged. 'Any other time and you would have run off to your room. Food is what is keeping you here.'

Fair enough, I thought. 'Still,' I whined, 'besides, we haven't established a relationship, we're just -'

'Kissing on your bed?' My jaw dropped open. 'Honey, I'm not stupid. Your lip ring was twisted and your lip was bright red.' I slunk lower in my seat.

'I don't mind, honey,' my mum paused, obviously thinking over what she just said, 'well, maybe just a little bit. You're only seventeen. But still, just know that it's okay to say no. That's all I'm saying. I don't expect you to tell me every little detail about your sex life - or lack of one - just that you're being safe.'

'Mum, I'm going to go now. I have, uh, homework.' I shot up and ran to my room, shutting the door and sitting at my bed.

I grabbed a vinyl and put it on, letting the record play through as I picked up a random book and started reading. It turned out to be the novel I was studying in English. It was actually quite interesting, despite what my classmates had said about it.

- - -

I walked into school the next day, all eyes on me. I saw Hayley and Stella leaning next to my locker, a few of their sporty friends behind them. I shied away from the hallway, instead rushing to homeroom. I had my books with me, I just had to get inside and Stella wouldn't know where to look for me. I rounded the corner and bumped into a few jocks.

'Hey, your locker isn't in this hall is it, freak?' They marched me back to where my locker was.

'You bitch,' Hayley greeted me, 'how could Alan possibly like you?'

'Hayley, let them deal with her,' Stella said, smiling wickedly, 'we already know nothing verbally works.'

Alan

I walked into homeroom a few minutes early. Diana said that she would meet me here a few minutes ago. I looked down at her text message, just to check I had gone to the right place. I had received a new one while I was walking.

I'm at the sick bay. Don't worry, everything's cool.

A/N

So um yup. What's happening? I start holidays tomorrow so guess what? More updates! I know, I know, I'm just as excited as you guys :3

Title cred: Fuck the Rest - Falling in Reverse

Also, I suggest listening to Crossfaith at six am. Gives you a pretty good appreciation of them.