Chapter 4

UNEDITED

The ride over to my house was unbelievable and unforgettable.  

The Infected were becoming smarter, faster and a lot more aggressive. We learned in my freshman year science class that creatures adapt in order to survive in their surroundings.

I couldn’t help but think how much it related to current issues.

While humans were still much smarter beings, I saw the proof with my own eyes. A disease-ridden boy jumped and latched onto the foot of an elderly man that stood on the roof of his truck.

The small city of Afton was getting worse by each passing minute.

The Infected were adapting at a much faster rate.

The numbers of the Infected were growing significantly.

And there was blood.

Lots of it.

We passed by sights only seen in horror movies…until now, of course.

Whilst holding hands, a young couple ran from a group of the Infected until they were cornered by at least six of them. Coming to terms with their fate, the couple shared one last kiss before disappearing behind a band of the diseased.

“My God,” Bert whispered while flawlessly maneuvering through the mess in the streets. That was all anyone could say at this time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We pulled up to my average sized, three bedroom house twenty minutes later. My mind was filled with haunting images. Anything could happen in a few seconds, let alone twenty minutes.

When the engine sputtered to a stop, I turned to Landon and Bert.

            “I-I don’t know what to do. My mom is…she could be…” My voice wavered and cracked, rendering my silent. The looks on Landon’s and Bert’s face showed understanding and pity.

            “Listen,” Landon began, “there are a few rules and regulations to lay down before we continue on and proceed with this rescue mission.” He paused before dropping something in my lap.

            “This is a gun.” I said, slowly. I’d never seen a gun so close before but I guess there’ll be a lot more firsts with the way things are going.

            “Congratulations for being able to see.” Landon sneered, “First rule: Shoot any threat between the eyes or in the heart. Damaging their two main control centers will kill them for good.”

I stared at the weapon in my lap, already dreading having to use that thing.

            “Second rule: If your mom was, in fact, bitten, we’ll have to kill her.” Landon’s voice held no remorse nor sympathy for what he’d said.

My palms grew sweaty and it suddenly felt extremely hot in this van, despite it being early March. I knew in my subconscious what saving Lana meant- either one or none of my loved ones would make it out of the house alive, and I would be witness to this.

            “Jesus, Landon,” Bert seethed, “What is the matter with you?”

            “Hate to be the bearer of bad new, Uncle Bert, but this princess has to learn the harsh reality sometime."

            “Fuck you,” I barely managed to get out, stuttering and all. Thank God Kreg fell asleep on our ride over here.

Landon stiffened for a second before turning away. “Your mom isn’t your mom anymore- just a sick monster with a hunger for human flesh.” He barely spared me a glance. “Let’s move.”