Chapter 2- Mixed Emotions

“Ok Merlin I have faith in you and you navigation skills but we’ve passed that same tree three times already. Are we lost?” Arthur raised one of his eyebrows and Merlin met him with a frustrated look.

“Actually I know exactly where we’re going…. I just can’t find it.” Arthur sighed and Merlin continued “Do you remember when we went to find the cup of life...?”

“Yes because that was such a success… why not bring that brilliant moment up in a time of need like this.” Arthur said sarcastically. Merlin didn’t appear to have noticed that Arthur had said anything because he continued without a pause.

“You know the Druid’s caves. Do you remember where they were; because that’s where we’re going.”

“Yeah it’s this way.” Said Arthur as he turned his horse around and beckoned for Merlin to follow.

“Merlin…” sighed Arthur “What am I going to do with you?”

“Hopefully get me to the Druid’s caves before the guards catch up with us!” Merlin replied with a cheeky grin plastered on his face.

“That’s a point… actually I hadn’t thought of that” Arthur shot Merlin a puzzled look “I know why the guards are after me but why are they after you?”

“It’s probably because I helped you escape.” Lied Merlin.

“Why did you help me?” Asked Arthur. “I’m a freak.” He turned round to face Merlin.

“I don’t think you’re a freak.” Said Merlin.

“Fine then well…. That makes everything better Merlin” he emphasised the name “Doesn’t think I’m a freak.”

“Yeah I don’t” Merlin said stubbornly “And you shouldn’t either.” Arthur looked at him.

“You don’t understand what this is like for me Merlin…. I’ve become the very thing I’ve been told to hate all my life. I’ve been told magic is and evil force…” he looked at the ground as his eyes began to water. “What does that make me?” Arthur’s horse slowly ground to a halt so Merlin also stopped his, dismounted and walked over to Arthur. He looked into Arthur’s eyes and saw the sadness that lurked there.

“You are not evil and you are not a freak.” He began.

“But…. I’ve got…” started Arthur.

“Yes you’ve got magic… but that doesn’t make you evil.” Arthur didn’t look convinced so Merlin continued. “Think of magic like a sword. A sword itself won’t make you evil yet some may choose to use it for that.” Arthur looked at Merlin “Yet that sword can also be used for good. Think of magic like a sword. It’s the person that wields it that makes it good or evil not the sword itself.”

“So it’s not if I have magic or not that makes me good or evil…” Arthur paused to think “It’s how I use it.” He shook his head in amazement “How could I of been so misguided all these years.” Arthur smiled “Thank you Merlin.”

“For what?” he asked.

“For coming with me.” Replied Arthur

“Ah well you would of got bored without me!” Merlin began

“Yes.” Said Arthur sarcastically “By now I would of began to miss your useless prattle” He smiled at Merlin. “You really are a true friend.” Merlin looked shocked, at the prince expressing his feelings, as me mounted his horse.

Merlin sat on his horse and smiled back at Arthur.

“Yeah you too.” Arthur shook his head, still smiling.

“Merlin.” He said

“Yeah?” Came the quiet reply.

“There’s no need to look so shocked.” Merlin gazed at him in confusion.

“What do you mean?”

“Well… you looked shocked that I said that!”

“Well… yeah. I guess I am a bit shocked. I’m a servant and you’re a prince. I don’t think we’re allowed to be friends.”

“Ah but you’re forgetting something…” Arthur raised his eyebrows as he looked at Merlin. “I’m no longer a prince and therefore you are no longer my servant.”

Merlin was surprised at how happy the prince sounded.

“I don’t want to put a downer on things but... shouldn’t you be a bit upset.”

“Nope! Arthur replied brightly. “Now I’ve never felt happier. It feels like a giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Well… apart from the whole magic thing. But I’ll get used to that!”

Merlin rolled his eyes at Arthur.

“Wow mood swings.” He muttered under his breath.

“What was that Merlin?” questioned Arthur.

“Nothing!” Merlin replied quickly.

“Merlin…..!” Arthur said, starting to lose his patience.

“Ooooh look I think I can see the Druid’s caves!” Shouted Merlin as he quickly changed the subject.

“Oh yeah. You’re right.” Arthur sounded relieved. “Come on. I hope they can help us!”