Chapter 30: A work in progress

Zacznij od początku

Connor breathed heavily from his nostrils. "Smartass", he thought.

-"That's bull."—Connor retaliated—"I know you have talked about it at least with Alexa Losey. I know she suggested you the center."

At this, Lisbug seemed to go a bit pale. "Aha", Connor thought, "Jackpot." Lisbug coughed a little, and then proceeded to search around her desk for some paper, apparently.

-"I wasn't aware that you and Ms. Losey were close."—she said—"I had a vague suspicion, given she asked about you, but now that you bring it up I think it's safe to say you're friends..."

-"Yeah. So?"

Lisa looked surprised at Connor, and he was surprised at his own words as well. That had been the quickest he had ever admitted to being friends with anyone and not cared.

-"Well that's beside the point! You still talked about it with her, didn't you?"

-"She asked, Connor. She saw Mikey leave, and she immediately started asking about it. I understand it was wrong, but I didn't give her any major details. She just wanted to know why your foster sibling came to my office and if he was doing alright. I told her that he came to talk about something else, and she immediately came to the conclusion it was you. She then suggested the care center, and that was it. No more was said."

Connor opened his mouth to reply, but got nothing. He had no counterargument against the crazy dog lady. He contented himself with just sitting back and waiting for her to say something intelligent, since that was her thing and his was to react like a douche.

-"I understand why you're bitter."—she went on, clearly aware that she was heading in the right track—"And I apologize. But I suspect that, and by all means correct me if I'm wrong; that's not what you want to ask me, is it?"

Connor face-palmed himself. She just kept getting everything right, and he found that quite annoying. But being frank he was already tired of looking for a fight, so instead he just exhaled and hunched closer, resting both arms on the desk as well. He didn't look at her in the eyes.

-"... I said some very stupid, hurtful things to Mikey, because I was angry that he had come to you and talked about me."—he said—"And now he's mad at me and I don't know why, but I can't stand it."

Lisa nodded slowly, uncapped her pen and proceeded to start writing, per usual, on her notepad.

-"Alright... and why do you think that bothers you so much?"

-"Listen, I just want you to tell me what I have to do here, alright? I don't need an analysis or an—"

-"We'll get to that, mister. Now, let's play by the book, alright? Why do you think that bothers you so much?"

-"How is this—?"

-"Connor."

Connor could almost feel his eyes popping out of frustration.

-"Argh! I don't know, okay! It just does! I think—I think he reminds me too much of my little brother, alright!? And lately I've been having nightmares where I see my siblings, and that's why I can't sleep! And this certainly doesn't help!"

Connor expected Lisa to make a remark or look at him triumphantly, instead she just kept writing, the only sign of reaction being her clicking her tongue.

-"Alright... so, Mikey reminds you of your little brother, correct?"

-"... Yes."

-"And has this happened to you before, with other people in your life...? Say... Alexis?"