Ch 11

James' POV

I carefully slipped my arms from Elle and slowly got off the bed. I quietly gazed at her as I pulled the covers. She looked so peaceful and serene. I laughed to myself. She's hardly ever looked so passive. In the ten years I've known and cared for her, I had never before failed as badly as this at taking care of her.

I loved everything about her. So I do everything to protect her loud personality. She was a blunt girl, but right after she says something she'll hate herself for it. That made her even more adorable. She really did look too peaceful. Usually she had a frown or a big grin on her beautiful face.... but not today.

Today she looked so fragile and hurt. The last time I had seen her in such a state was ten years ago, when I found her, broken and beyond repair.

*Flashback*

I was sleeping peacefully till I felt my covers pulled and ice cold water splashed on my face, "F*ck man!" I shouted at the assh*le that splashed water on me. I was f*cking angry. If it was anyone else besides Luke who splashed me, I would've skinned the bastard already. But even eleven years of friendship was cutting it short.

Luke was the only man I trusted with my life. We met when we were eight years old. And we were the best of buddies till we turned thirteen. I had to go into foster care as my druggie of a mother died of an overdose. We didn't see each other for a while, but we tried to send letters to one another as much as we could. At fifteen we finally met again... in the slums of Detroit. One thing led to another and we were once again the best of buddies. We even worked together now and five years to that day and we still do.

"Dude, you should've seen your face! It was monumental!" He said as he laughed hysterically at my pain. Luke was tall even taller than me. He had platinum blonde hair and striking green eyes.

The funny thing was that he had a baby face and he absolutely hated it when people pointed it out. The last sucker that did broke their jaw. Luke was pretty muscular too, but thank god not as much as me. I couldn't very well let him beat me in everything.

I ran my hands through my soaking wet hair and glared at him. "How did you even get in here, Luke?"

"I just pushed on the door and it gave in so easily. You should seriously move out. This place is so shabby and old." He puts his hand on his hips to emphasize his point. "Not to mention there's still a lot of heat on you from that job. You never know what they might do. And that lock is so f*cking easy to break."

I shook my head, "You know I can't. I need the extra money to fund my program. But when it's complete, I'm telling you Luke. I'm hitting it big." I give him a huge grin. "In any case, that job is ancient history. I'm sure no one even cares anymore. People go missing everyday." I add, my voice turning into a whisper as I mention the last part.

He sighs, "I know James, besides you're program's going to be revolutionary... I know firsthand. If anyone's gonna get out of this dump, it's going to be you. Now come on, let's go! We're going to be late."

"Where to?" I ask. I seriously had no idea what he was talking about.

He looked at me strangely and smacked me in the back. "Dude did you forget? It's your twentieth birthday man! And we're going out to celebrate." He stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I stared at him in awe. Did he forget I was dead broke? I could hardly feed myself, let alone bar hopping. And as if he could read my mind, he smirks at me and says. "Don't worry man, my treat." I grin at him, "Okay just let me get ready!" I say as I stalk to my tiny bathroom that was separated from the rest of the room by a curtain.

My place was crap, I'll admit to that much. But I couldn't afford more. It was a tiny room on the seventh floor of a very old hostel. The room had a kitchen too and a wall-bed. I was pretty sure someone died in that bed. The room smelled like sh*t too, but I could at least fit in a sofa. It wasn't the best place, at most it was livable.

Please comment or vote!

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆