Sarah's Secret Santa

Christmas Eve and not a creature was stirring, except for Sarah Addison as she worked on closing up shop for the holidays. Everyone else seemed to disappear throughout the day but as she had no place to go later, Sarah didn't feel much like rushing home to her empty apartment.

"It's the hap-happiest season of all," played over the radio. "Bah. Humbug," Sarah said switching off the carol.

"That's not very Christmassy of you?"

Sarah nearly tumbled out of her chair. Her reaction caused a slow, deep, chuckle to rumble behind her. She slowly turned to look up at the very handsome, yet obnoxious face of her arch-nemesis.

"Noel. Didn't think anyone was still hanging around the office."

"Obviously. So, that begs the question... why are you still here, Miss Sarah Addison?"

Sarah adjusted her wire-framed glasses and tucked a haphazard blonde curl behind her ear. "Because I'm all alone and it's Christmas and I don't want to go home and ponder how my life has come to this depressing point," was of course what Sarah thought. What came out was, "Just finishing up some last-minute things before signing off for the holidays."

Noel, made a face like he somehow knew there was more to the story but then shrugged as if he could care less. "Okay, if that's how you want to play it."

"What's that suppose to mean?" Sarah asked, annoyed. 

Ever since Noel came to Global Graphics he has been a thorn in her side. Sarah gave up everything to move out west, to take this job in the hopes of advancing her career and in a year she had done just that, spending every waking moment on her job. Sure she had no social life, no time to make friends or even think of a relationship but hey, she became the agency's Golden Child. There wasn't a project she touched that didn't become an instant success. So, why her boss chose to bring Noel on was beyond her.

"Come on, Sarah. It's Christmas Eve. Can't you take a break from being little miss perfect? It's just one night. Try letting your hair down. Have a little fun."

His comment bristled her. "I'm not trying to be perfect. I just want to..."

"Blah, Blah, Blahbiddie, Blah. Hey there, Clueless. Not trying to get into a debate about your work ethic, just trying to see if you're free for some dinner maybe?"

Sarah shook her head in confusion. "What? Dinner? With me?"

Noel chuckled that deep throaty laugh again. Looking around he asked, "You see someone else around here I may be talking to?"

Sarah scoffed, "What's the catch?"

"Seriously?" Noel asked.

"No, really," Sarah pressed, "you hate me, so why would you want to spend a night eating together."

Noel smiled. "I think you have that backward. You hate me, but I've never been one to be put off by a challenge."

"I still don't get it." 

Sarah closed her laptop and turned away to slip it into her backpack. Planning on taking it home to get some work done over the holiday. Noel swiveled her chair back so he could look at her.

He had her pinned with his hands on her armrests. She had no place to go. He leaned in to look her in the eye. His brown eyes were so dark Sarah thought she could lose herself in them. Then a strange thing happened. Suddenly all the smugness went away and what Sarah saw startled her. He let his guard down and somehow became even more attractive, damn him.

His light brown hair hung slightly in his eyes as he leaned in even closer, and for one insane moment, she thought he might kiss her. The fact that she felt excited about the idea deeply disturbed her. He stared at her for a long, hard moment, and then abruptly stood up, sending her chair backward, bumping her desk.