Right

Chapter Ten

For a while, I stayed at the Curtis house and talked with everyone. "You feeling better?" Darry asked me. I nodded.

"Just bruised, that's all," I answered. He smiled and sat next to me. We all sat together, watching tv, and talking. It felt good to have people to talk with and hang out. I didn't feel as alone as when I first came to town.

The phone rang and Darry got up to get it. "Hello?" he answered. "Yea....they are.......she'll be safe.......I'll have someone walk her back when its time...... she can eat here if she wants......yea I'm sure......no problem. Bye." He hung up and turned to me.

"That was your brother, he wanted to make sure you were still here. Also, I told him you could stay for dinner," he said. I thanked him.

I went to sit outside and get fresh air. The sun warmed my skin. I heard the door open and Ponyboy and Johnny joined me.

"You gotta smoke, Pony?" Johnny asked. Ponyboy nodded and took a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket. He handed one to Johnny and lit one up for himself.

"You want one?" he asked. I nodded.

"I smoked every now and then with my old group of friends. Maybe once every three weeks. I haven't in a while, I guess one wouldn't hurt," I replied, taking one out of the pack. Johnny handed me a lighter and I lit the end of the cigarette. As I handed the lighter back to him, I lifted the cigarette to my mouth. I hadn't smoked in a month or two, so I guess I was safe. I inhaled and exhaled the smoke through my nose. I felt relieved after a while. I used to smoke a little more often after my parents died. It seemed to take away any sadness inside of me.

After a while, Johnny got up. "I gotta go home," he said miserably. "My mom will probably find something to yell about now...or another excuse to hit me. Bye guys." I felt awful for Johnny, for what he had to go home to.

"I know you have Pony's house, but you can also come to mine if it gets too bad," I said. Johnny smiled with appreciation. He got up and left, latching the gate closed behind him.

Ponyboy and I still sat on the steps, smoking. "I wish Johnnycake's parents treat him better," Pony sighed. They were best friends; it must be hard to see someone you care about being abused. It was definitely harder living through it yourself, I knew that for a fact.

"Yea, its really sad," I said, downcast. I scooted up one step next to Ponyboy and glanced at him. "You alright?" I asked. Before he could answer, Darry opened the door to tell us dinner was ready; meatloaf and mashes potatoes.

The next day, Matt was gone early, so I was left with a note again. This one also told me to be safe and to have a great day. I made my bed and got dressed. Today, I was hoping to see if Delaney was around. I walked past the DX and turned the corner. That's when I spotted the house. She was mowing the lawn. When I approached, she looked up, smiled, and turned off the mower. "I see you've taken the invitation," she said kindly. I nodded.

"You need any help?" I asked. She shook her head.

"Its just chores my mom is making me do," she grumbled. "Its annoying how she let's my dad have a break but not me. How about your parents?" I began to get uncomfortable.

"I don't have parents......." I trailed off. A look of sympathy filled her eyes.

"I'm so sorry," she cried and pulled me into a hug. I hugged her back. It felt like one of my mother's hugs. We both pulled away.

"I just have to finish this section of the lawn," she informed me. I moved out of the way for her to finish.

"There we go," she stated. She took the mower to the shed behind the house and came back. "So what do you want to do?" she asked. I shrugged. "Ooooo!" she squealed. "I could show you my magazines!" She took my hand and led me in the small house. The first right off the front door was her bedroom. It was tiny and I was surprised she had as many posters as she did. Elvis occupied most of the room.