Feelings

Chapter Eight

The Curtis house looked empty, but just on the outside. I knocked on the door hoping Ponyboy or Johnny would answer, but instead it was that Dallas character. He stood there, leaning an arm against the door, probably trying to look good.

"What'daya want, little broad?" he said smirking. I folded my arms across my chest.

"Is Ponyboy or Johnny here?" I asked shyly. Dallas shrugged lazily.

"I'll check for ya, ok?" he said about to turn away.

"Thanks, Dallas," I said and smiled a little. He turned back around to the door.

"Call me Dally or Dal, not none of that Dallas crud, ya got that? Johnny's the only one who can," he stated roughly and disappeared into the house. I was taken aback by the sharpness in his tone.

I patiently waited outside the door, hoping someone would offer to let me in. Soon, Johnny appeared at the door. "Pony's just cleanin' his room. C'mon in!" his attitude was a lot different then Dally's. Johnny was sweet, welcoming, and understanding. Dally acted as though he was better than everyone else, was rude, and had no respect for others. I had to admit, he was cute. Maybe I just had to get to know him better.

I entered the house, greeted by a cool breeze. Steve was stuffing himself into the fridge, Two-bit was on the couch, and Dally was leaning against a wall in solitude. I followed Johnny to Ponyboy's room. Ponyboy was straightening up some pencils and notebook on his desk.

He looked up when I entered the room. He grinned and walked over to Johnny and I. "You guys wanna see a movie?" he asked. I found myself staring at Ponyboy. He was the perfect guy. I shook the thoughts from my head.

"Sure," Johnny said, breaking into my thoughts. I nodded in confirmation.

"Just as long as we're back before nine. I don't want Matt to worry," I said, half joking, since a movie wouldn't last that long.

"You can call him and tell him if you need to," said Ponyboy sweetly. I thanked him and dialed the number of Matt's work. When he answered, I quickly told him what Ponyboy suggested. He was ok with it and said to make sure I stayed safe.

"Ok, Matt. I love you!" I said into the receiver. He chuckled.

"I love you too. I just hope you don't think I'm being unfair with wanting you to be safe. You're my little sister and I care about you." His voice was reassuring and calming. We said our goodbyes and hung up. Ponyboy and Johnny were waiting for me by the door.

"Soda! We're leaving now! Tell Darry we'll be fine," Ponyboy called across the house. We left after we heard a quick 'alright'.

I scuffed my feet along the pavement. "So... Reagan. What was your old town like?" Johnny asked. "Did you have a boyfriend?" The question caught me off guard. I laughed and shook my head, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Sorry, was that a weird question? I was just curious. I mean.... you're really pretty so you should've had one." Johnny looked down at his feet as he talked.

"Johnny Cade? Are you flirting with me?" I joked. He shook his head vigorously.

"I was just wondering. But maybe God's saving you for someone special," he offered and I saw him very slightly eye Pony, who was in his own world.