The Movies

Chapter Nine

The rest of the walk was silent, no thanks to me. Ponyboy walked over to a fence and lifted up the bottom half. "Here," he ushered. I slid under while Ponyboy continued to hold it up for Johnny.

The movie was called Rio Bravo. It was about a sheriff against a murder and his band of thugs. It was interesting so far. "I'm gonna go get some more popcorn, ok?" I said taking the empty bowl.

I waited in line; after about 5 people. I hoped I wouldn't have to confront any Socs. I got more popcorn and headed back to my seat. "Thanks, Reagan," said Ponyboy.

"Yea, thanks," Johnny added, kindly. "One of us could've gotten it though," he said referring to himself and Pony. I shrugged it off.

"Its no big deal," I replied nonchalantly, refocusing on the movie. The sheriff was trying to find people to help him against the band of thugs.

The whole movie, I felt a little awkward. Ponyboy watched the screen intently; I could see from the corner of my eye. I had know him for about a week and I already thought he was cute. 'No, Reagan. Stop,' I thought to myself. I tried focusing back on the movie. Ponyboy was just my friend and that's all he'd ever be, same with Johnny. They were the some of the only friends I had.

When the movie was done, we walked back to Pony's house. "Hey!" Sodapop greeted us.

"Hey Soda," Johnny greeted back in his quiet and rather low voice. Ponyboy just smiled and waved. Steve emerged from the kitchen, a piece of chocolate cake in his hand. "What's up guys?" he muffled with a full mouth.

"They just got back from the movies," said Sodapop, plopping down on the couch. Darry was washing dishes in the kitchen, but Dally and Two-bit were no where to be found.

All of a sudden, the front door burst open. Dally came swaggering in and sat next to Soda, Two-bit coming in behind. A huge smile spread dreamily across his face. He looked in a haze and couldn't seem to get the smile off his face.

"Whacha' so happy about, Two-bit?" asked Ponyboy with a smirk. Two-bit turned to Pony, still smiling.

"I just went out with this girl Rebekah I met last week. I had the best time with her. I asked her out and she said yes. She's so perfect," he said with an in love sigh. He stood up and put a hand on Pony's shoulder and added, "I hope you and Johnny will find a girl who makes you happy as I am." He staggered out of the house; the smile never left his face.

"I think he's drunk," said Ponyboy and we all laughed.