Real Refugees

Ahsoka's POV

Shouting, and commands. Someone was hurt, and someone was upset. She couldn't figure out who....

Ahsoka wanted to help them. She wanted to make sure everyone was ok, but suddenly a bad feeling twisted in her gut.

She heard a whisper. A voice.

"I'm sorry Snips."

And then the screaming started.

Anakin's POV

Anakin frowned in worry as Patch spoke.

"I'm sorry general, but I can't save her hand. If we were in a hospital, I would have hope. But out here? I'll have to remove it."

Skywalker shook his head. "She's not going to lose her hand."

"But General-" Patch began.

"She won't." Anakin stared at Ahsoka's tiny body laying on the ground, in the makeshift supply room. She wasn't dead, but she wasn't far from it either.

He clenched his metal fist. He had lost his hand, almost his entire arm. He wasn't going to let that happen to his Padawan too. "You can't save it, but I can."

Patch frowned, "How?"

Anakin kneeled beside his Padawan and gently picked up her twisted hand.

"Through the force."

Patch shook his head "You can do that?"

His general didn't answer, instead he shouted, "Rex! I'll need your help."

The captain quickly ran to her side, removing his weapon. He carefully grasped her ankles.

"Patch!" Rex barked, "Grab her shoulders."

Patch followed suit grabbing her good shoulder, and placed his hand below the wound on her injured one.

Anakin closed his eyes, a bit nervous. He had never attempted to try something such as this. He had heard of it being done, but by very strong Jedi Masters. He reached out to the Force. All he needed to do was trust. "Fives?"

The trooper stepped into the room.

"General?"

"Double guard, and be wary. This will weaken me."

"Yes sir!" Anakin listened as Fives ran off to relay the command.

The Jedi took a deep breath, grasping at the Force, letting it fill him. He sensed the planet around him, and the men at his sides. He sensed the Force within Ahsoka, and in the scraggly trees and the small pebbles. He felt it in her labored breaths, in the dirt and beneath their feet. He felt it in his own beating heart, and in her shattered bones.

Anakin tightened his grip on Ahsoka's hand. "I'm sorry Snips."

Taking one last breath, he twisted her fingers and began.

~   ~   ~

Another horrific scream spread through the night, making Anakin's eyes fly open again.

Ahsoka was semiconscious, eyes fluttering open and shut. Her face was a strange gray shade and creased with pain. She flinched each time he rearranged a bone in her hand. Legs kicking as she screamed in pain.

Pain he was causing her. Anakin closed his eyes and mumbled for what felt like the thousandth time, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Rex and Patch were red faced with the effort of keeping her still for so long, and Anakin felt exhaustion clinging to him. They had been at this for far too long.