Master Lost

Obi-Wan's POV

He woke to the early, hot sun on his face. Wariness clung to him from last nights battle, but he moved to stand anyway. Moving stiffly, leaving the rocky ground, Obi-Wan clambered over the sleeping bodies, waving to Fives and Kix as they stood guard at the front entrance.

The night before, Rex had led them deep into the ruins of the lost city, where they stumbled across the remanets of what, Obi-Wan could only call, a temple. The foundations still stood, along with pieces of the walls and collumns reaching high above their heads. There were four arches, leading out of the huge round ruins. One in the North, South, East and West. At the back of the temple, stood a small doorway with stone walls leading into a large room. Beyond that, was the north entrance overlooking empty wastelands below.

Obi-Wan looked over the sleeping men looking for his fellow General. A slightly snoring Anakin, near tiny curled up Ahsoka, woke with a start when Kenobi shook him. Getting his bearings the young General stood, and they walked to the outskirts of the temple. 

"Well, they didn't find us." Anakin said, stretching his arms.

Obi-Wan frowned, "But were they even looking? Think about it Anakin, they stopped following us last night and quit dropping the bombs. Something isn't right."

Anakin shrugged yawning, "The only way we'll find out anything is if we get to their communications."

"Which proved to be difficult." Obi-Wan pointed out.

His apprentice glowered, "Last night was unexpected. We were outnumbered and unprepared, next time-"

"Next time? They have an entire army of vulture droids out there! Not to mention how ever many battle droids! How do you plan we combat that?"

Anakin looked away, clearly troubled. Kenobi waited, letting him collect his thoughts. After a few seconds Anakin sighed.

"We lost a lot of men last night, and many more are injured. What does that say about me? I'm supposed to lead these men, help them fight and survive to the next battle. How have I been doing that?"

Obi-Wan laid a hand on his shoulder, he knew how Anakin felt. Often times he'd questioned his own ability to lead an army.

"I understand, I do. You have men trusting you with their lives, hanging on to your every word and command. But you can't blame yourself every time you lose a man, it will tear you down. Trust in the Force Anakin, it works in many ways."

Anakin let out a breath, "I know Master, I am."

Kenobi nodded, wanting to say more but Echo came up to the Generals.

"General Kenobi." The trooper nodded to Obi-Wan. "General Skywalker, the men are waking up sir."

Anakin frowned in confusion, "And?"

Echo stood straighter, "Well, um their hungry sir, well we all are...I wanted to know what you wanted us to do since we have no contact with anyone and we only have the rations in our packs."

Anakin nodded, "Good thinking Echo. Go tell the men to wait, I want everyone in the temple except the gaurds at the entrances."

Echo stood back and saluted, "Yes sir." The clone turned and ran back through the west entrance.

"We better follow him." Obi-Wan said.

Anakin's POV

A lot of the men were standing as Anakin walked back into the ruined temple. He nodded to the nearest ones, heading to the front in the south.