The Hill Collapses

Ryland Strich sunk down low in his seat, bored and exhausted in the heat of summer, 1987. If he had to hear more about grandfather Strich, the mayor of Greensborough through the Great Depression, he was going to collapse. The temperature on the open windowsill read 99 in midday. Ryland was homeschooled after one too many fights, his parents figuring it would be best if he was 'kept away' from other children at his school. Being the mayor's son and all, it had only made the kids hate him more. It wasn't as if he was not popular, he had a lot of false friends, who hung around hoping for famousness to rub off.
The clock struck three, and his tutor glanced up. He nodded at him.
"You can go now, Ryland." He spoke in his southern drawl. Ryland slipped out of the classroom and down the hall, sliding down the banister and leaving out the front door. He was heading for Brentwood Hill, one of his favorite places. He didn't really remember when he first started going there, but it had been a while. The hill had a great view of the town below it, and the marshes that lurked just outside the limits. He had spent many summer days here, practicing his soccer.
'Not that it matters seeing as I don't have a school to play for anymore.' Ryland thought to himself as he walked up the hill. He was just thinking to himself, absorbed in his mind, he didn't even realize the sound of the earth crumbling underneath him. He gasped in surprise, stumbling backwards, and fell into a pit that seemed to just open up in the earth. He felt his head connect with the ground, and everything went dark.