She rolled her eyes at this and Daniel theorized she's heard guys lie to impress her all the time. "I was asking around," she began, "and Helen, one of my friends at the cosmetic counter, says they're always looking for waiters upstairs. But you could check out the Home Entertainment department...you like movies right?"

She tapped a fingernail on the display case. "I'm not sure about the Confectionery, though. The chocolate samples are great, but you'd have to wear a blue and white striped apron." She said this while staring across the department as if talking to herself.

Daniel tried to ignore the sudden heaviness on his shoulders. His earlier anticipation began to warp into disappointment. "What makes you think I won't stay on night shift?" he challenged.

Boxes tumbled down from a nearby display followed by a stumbling clerk. Monique nudged Daniel in the ribs. "Stacey," she said with an obvious air, as if that explained everything. They walked over to the clumsily sprawled girl.

"Are you okay?" he asked, taking her elbow to help her stand. She was pale and slim with pixie style hair.

"Thanks," Stacey said, dusting off her blue vest and skirt. "I was rushing and lost my footing."

He glanced up at the raised platform; three mannequins were dressed in colorful rain gear with umbrellas.

"What's the big panic?" Monique asked her. "The display looks fine to me."

Stacey straightened her crooked vest. "Not everyone has the luxury of socializing during work hours."

Monique's face reddened. "Come on," she said, touching Daniel's arm. "I'll show you the rest of the floor."

They walked several feet before Monique started talking. "She's so jealous," she huffed. "Just because I have more friends than her, she's labeled me as a gossip who hangs out in the make-up aisle and takes all the samples. I can't help it if I'm popular."

She didn't wait for Daniel to answer. "And she's always lurking around Ladies Fashions, like she's trying to catch me doing my nails or something. It's creepy actually."

"It sounds like you don't trust her," he said.

"I don't! Today she's supposed to be in the Toy Department. She thinks she's some important fashion designer, but she's only a freshman in college. One day she came wearing a sweatshirt and flip flops!"

Daniel tugged at his coat, trying to hide his black sweatshirt underneath. He stayed quiet, unsure how to comment.

"This is my after-school job," Monique continued, "and I look way more professional than her." She straightened her leg, showing off her foot. "See? At least I'm wearing stilettos."

"Very nice," he said.

She led him down the grand staircase to the ground floor. A sweet aroma made Daniel's mouth water; he looked to his right and saw a colorful archway leading to the Confectionery. He caught a glimpse of glass jars with glistening candy before Monique pulled on his arm, making him continue down the aisle.

She stopped by the make-up counters. Daniel found her quietness a bit unnerving—that and being surrounded by cosmetics. If his old hockey team saw him now, he'd never hear the end of it.

A stone dropped in his stomach. That life was over. The Daniel who scored goals and got high fives in the hallways was gone.

Monique began to inspect the lipsticks. "I sound like a bitch, don't I?" she asked.

He's surprised by her frankness. "No," he said. She selected a color, and then drew a line across the back of her hand. She repeated the process with various shades until there was a rainbow of reds and pinks. Daniel glanced at his watch, wondering if the security office was open yet.